Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Banned
Producer

Photos: 25
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  
Default This date in 2011

It's hard to believe but these pictures were taken on the 29th of April in 2011. We had a banner year, making 198 gallons of table grade syrup from 600 taps. We ran out of firewood by this time and were scrounging to keep the 3'x8' fed. The last day we boiled in 2011 was May 5th.
Attached Thumbnails
This date in 2011-img00025-20110422-0926.jpg   This date in 2011-img00027-20110422-0929.jpg  
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

When does your season normally end? I have to check but I think the last boil for me last year was on the 17th of April and that is one of the latest years here. Normally we are done around 7 days into April. We ran out of wood also last year and called it quits. Past few days here has been pretty good sap weather lol. Cool pictures.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Ah, the memories of a good year. I thought we were doing good here when our season went til April 26th last year........then I talked to Jim a week later and he was still boiling in may! Funny thing was, after 5 weeks I couldn't wait for the season to end, this year it never really started.
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
When does your season normally end? I have to check but I think the last boil for me last year was on the 17th of April and that is one of the latest years here. Normally we are done around 7 days into April. We ran out of wood also last year and called it quits. Past few days here has been pretty good sap weather lol. Cool pictures.
We generally plan on the season being over around the 15th of April.

Actually, I was at the land over the weekend and I just had to tap a couple trees just to see what would happen after that 20 night. They ran like crazy. I tapped one red maple and a sugar at about noon. Unreal.
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
Ah, the memories of a good year. I thought we were doing good here when our season went til April 26th last year........then I talked to Jim a week later and he was still boiling in may! Funny thing was, after 5 weeks I couldn't wait for the season to end, this year it never really started.
Yep, I couldn't wait for it to end either. Here's some more pictures. It was a struggle trying to keep the old sap truck running. Broken drive axles, shift linkages, ect...

2011 was by far our most memorable season. It was seven weeks and one day from the time we tapped to the time we pulled. We made relatively light syrup the entire season. I was TIRED! The most difficult part was running around cutting dry wood every minute that I wasn't collecting sap.
Attached Thumbnails
This date in 2011-2011-04-03-18.18.20.jpg   This date in 2011-2011-04-18-16.05.26.jpg   This date in 2011-2011-03-30-19.34.38.jpg   This date in 2011-2011-04-02-18.13.58.jpg   This date in 2011-2012-04-06-17.32.53.jpg  

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Journals: 1
Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Time to buy Angela a new 4X4 for a wedding present!!!
Great photos, thanks Jim.
Woodsman
The Crescendo Auto Draw-Off System
Deere Run 125 GPH RO
50 on gravity
150 taps on vacuum
2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans
1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...last_woodsman/

maple syrup, In the sugarhouse - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schumacher View Post
Yep, I couldn't wait for it to end either. Here's some more pictures. It was a struggle trying to keep the old sap truck running. Broken drive axles, shift linkages, ect...

2011 was by far our most memorable season. It was seven weeks and one day from the time we tapped to the time we pulled. We made relatively light syrup the entire season. I was TIRED! The most difficult part was running around cutting dry wood every minute that I wasn't collecting sap.
Dang, i sure hope after all that the linkage issue wasn't at the transmission. I never like getting into steering columns or dashes on newer vehicles. Too much stuff going on in there. I hope Angela isn't driving that with a pair of vice grips for a steering wheel and arcing wires for turn signal and wiper controls.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 37 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz5150 View Post
Dang, i sure hope after all that the linkage issue wasn't at the transmission. I never like getting into steering columns or dashes on newer vehicles. Too much stuff going on in there. I hope Angela isn't driving that with a pair of vice grips for a steering wheel and arcing wires for turn signal and wiper controls.
Nope, knew right away it was between the steering wheel and the firewall. It was a cast aluminium part, way deep inside there. Luckily, Ford couldn't have made it easier to get past the airbag. For the first two days following the breakdown we continued using the truck by crawling under the truck, while running, and shifting it around with a channel locks. Yes, I did it while alone in the woods many times, no I didn't tell Angela.

Come to think of it Xak, you have one of these parts in your white truck. Let me know if you have a problem with it.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schumacher View Post
Nope, knew right away it was between the steering wheel and the firewall. It was a cast aluminium part, way deep inside there. Luckily, Ford couldn't have made it easier to get past the airbag. For the first two days following the breakdown we continued using the truck by crawling under the truck, while running, and shifting it around with a channel locks. Yes, I did it while alone in the woods many times, no I didn't tell Angela.

Come to think of it Xak, you have one of these parts in your white truck. Let me know if you have a problem with it.
Yup, i think we have the same year truck ( 97 ) mine is the old body style though ( 1 ton ). Boy i hope i dont have to do that.
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

Thought i would revive an old thread. This picture is from a year ago today. It was in the 60's and our 2nd and last collection of the year. No snow, green grass, and every bag was full. This year a couple feet of snow and bags are all flapping in the cold, cold wind.

Last edited by jmayerl; March 15th, 2017 at 11:11 AM.