Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1900
Thanked 7 Times

Default Wisconsin maple inspections

Is anyone in Wisconsin stunned as to what the WI Dept. of Ag has come up with this year. Talk about getting strict. I am interested as to what producers from other states have encountered.

They are demanding that in order to be licensed you must come up with a "recall" plan. Every drop of syrup must be recorded and you must be able to trace when it was made and to where it finally ends up. Every container is to be coded somehow, records kept of who bought the container(s), what/who the target audiences are, and you must make this available to the state of Wisconsin for copying if they request it. I am having a difficult time with this thing, as are some others that I have talked to. This to me seems like an overreach of government! All in the name of food safety. It appears to me they are using the cover of food safety to track every drop you produce.

The recall plan involves drafting a plan of how you would go about recalling a tainted lot of syrup, how you would enact such a recall, how would you keep it seperate and so on. It seems like a group of Madison, WI lawyers got together and drew this one up because its almost impossible to understand what they want.

One producer in my area told the inspector he was not going to do all of this and they pulled his license already. I am all for food safety, but in a nutshell I am so stupid that I now need a recall procedure, yet I won't be smart enough to figure out if a batch ever were to get contaminated. MAD IN WISCONSIN!!

Last edited by tapking; March 28th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

There has been talk about this being put in place the past few years. I have kept records and batch numbers since the talk started. Once you get the process going its really not that hard, more time consuming than anything. Here is how I keep batch records. Lets say on March 1st 2012 I made 20 quarts of syrup, finished, filtered and bottled in two 10 quart batches. The first batch number would be as follows 301121 month/date/year/batch number for that day. second batch number would be 301122 I write on the bottom of the judge in a sharpie the number for reference when I label them. I make labels right in the house on a label maker. I run off the labels with the number in it. When I sell that batch I write down who bought it and the address or phone number. If the syrup for some strange odd reason it gets a recall I can look on the sheet of who else had bought that batch and then would replace it or return the money for the syrup. If you have labels preprinted for the season you could leave a line blank and write the number on it instead. I think this will be a maple belt regulation in due time. For the record I have yet to find where any maple syrup has ever been recalled or ever heard of any. Nope its not fun and might seem excessive, but I must say I do have to cringe when I hear of a limited amount of people that have used sub-par storage containers and then sell their product. Is this a state mandate or your state maple producers associations requirement? Is it for producers or packers?
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

My inspector never mentioned a recall plan. I will blame it on Homeland Security for all the new rules. Did they mentioned if it was only for retail or wholesale. I have running water and had to supply a valid water test to get my license. You do need a hand wash station in the sap shack as of the 2013 season.
I was surprised to know that I can allow other non licensed producers use my kitchen and if they help bottle they don't have to say BOTTLED BY. A fellow producer got his license using my kitchen.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Producer

Thanked 7 Times

It is a requirement of the WI Department of Ag, Trade, and Consumer Protection. It has nothing to do with the state association. As I mentioned, I am all about food safety and so forth, and I understand about those selling syrup out of a canola oil container, but they are in the extreme minority.

This is not the only item they are unleashing the whip on, but this one is HUGE. It is to be for producers and packers alike. I sell out of a self serv stand and some people do not sign the book. How in the !^&% do I know where the syrup ends up? All I know is this is going to cause quite a stir as a neighbor already won't get his license because he claimed it to be too much of a burden on him.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

record keeping on the producers side is easy. Its keeping track of who bought what. How do they know what batch they got. If they get sick and it determined that it was tainted maple syrup that was the reason they got sick. How do they know what batch their bottle came from. Then how do you as a producer notify the public that there is a recall....................................YIKES
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Producer

Thanked 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
. Did they mentioned if it was only for retail or wholesale. I have running water and had to supply a valid water test to get my license. You do need a hand wash station in the sap shack as of the 2013 season.
It is for ALL syrup out of your shack! I have the sheet over at the farm he gave me.

He nailed me about the handwash station and triple wash sinks and not having hot and cold running water inside the building, told me I can't use condensate for hot water either as well as permeate. We only have to have a safe water test every 2 years for grade A dairy, but syrup has to be EVERY year, so the water test from the milk plant was no good either.

I got it for not having tanks covered and I had not yet gathered a drop of sap yet.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

I only have 1 sink and friend was told because they didnt have running water all they needed was a sink with a gravity tank with tested water. I get my test done at the water treatment plant.Will this apply to honey, jam, cherries and dried fruit.
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Producer

Thanked 7 Times

Here is a link to the "recall" sheet. Scroll down til you get to ATCP 70.117 Recall Plan

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/cod...atcp/70/II/117

I was told I need a triple wash vat AND a seperate handwash sink, with hot and cold running water!

And only in WISCONSIN:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/cr_final/10-121.pdf
Where you don't need a license, but you need a registration for sales under $5000. What a #%king joke!

Last edited by tapking; March 28th, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:38 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 140
Journals: 2
Photos: 35
Thanked 15 Times

I find it ODD that a dairy farmer, doesn't have to keep records of what individuals they sold their milk too. Ok, they sell it to Cub Foods, or whateverů..then you take it home. How do they get in touch with individuals to let them know IT'S tainted or bad or whatever? Why make it so difficult for the little guy?
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Photos: 1
Thanked 3 Times
  View my photos  

Wonderful. It's like ( hi, I'm from the government & I'm here to help) yeah, right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allgreenmaple For This Post:
70 Buick (April 1st, 2012)