Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:45 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 120
Thanked 0 Times

Default Monroe County 2018

Anyone tapping yet? We are getting ready, everything is just about set to go. Saturday will be taping day for us, 150 taps on bags and buckets. It's looking like a beautiful weekend to be out in the woods.
Attached Thumbnails
Monroe County 2018-img_2217.jpg  
Old March 8th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default We Tapped!

On Saturday we tapped 100 bags and 20 buckets. Truth be told, we tapped the Maple Trees... Sap was barely dripping, Sunday only a tiny bit in some bags/buckets. I have been able to check this week yet. My guess is that there isn't much to report. My plans to tap this weekend are in doubt. The following weekend should be a go.
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default Very quiet here!

Saturday checked the bags and buckets, not much, really not any sap running at all. I suppose it was expected with the recent change in weather. This week looks good temperature wise. My next check of the sugar bush will be on Wednesday. Plans for upcoming Saturday are to do our first cooking of the year. Might happen?
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default First Cook Down

Wednesday, 3/14, First Gathering of the Sap. Took me just over an hour to dump off all the buckets and bags. Collected 45 gallons with some ice remaining in most of the bags. Hooked up the evaporator, test it out, everything is a go.

Saturday/Sunday, 3/17 & 3/18, beautiful weekend. Cooked 6 hours on Saturday and 7 on Sunday, will finish off this afternoon. Cooked a total of 200 gallons, sap tested at 2% so we should get 4 gallons of the good stuff. My brother came and helped for the weekend. His first experience this year working with me in the Sugar Bush and it has been great! My Mom, who is 85 years old, brought lunch down to us both days. How lucky we are! Saw a Bald Eagle flying overhead, Sandhill Cranes are on the move northward, Red Winged Blackbirds and Robins have returned...spring has sprung.

Overall analysis of sap flow - not that strong yet. The ground is still frozen in the woods which maybe slowing things down. The weather is perfect, so my guess is that things will really pick up this week going into next.

Wednesday may cook again, I need about 120 gallons of sap so we shall see.
Attached Thumbnails
Monroe County 2018-img_2261.jpg  
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:59 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default Not a Lot of Sap Flowing

I was planning on collecting today, but not much happening as far as sap movement is concerned. My long range plan was to cook today, it's not going to happen. So, Plan B - I'll collect on Friday and cook on Sunday since I have to work on Saturday. If the sap busts loose I will be in for a long night on Sunday! I'm ready!
Old March 26th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

How quickly things change...the sap started flowing freely starting Thursday. I collected Friday night (yes I mean night), and early Saturday morning, I collected 200 gallons. It would have been a lot more had it not been for the squirrels chewing on 18 of my bags. It flowed good all weekend. I couldn't cook til Sunday, finished today. I have over 10 gallons of sap to cook down this evening, finishing tomorrow. Things heated up fast for me. I don't think I will be able to collect until Friday. I have a feeling my bags will be over flowing and I will have some more squirrel issues to deal with. Having fun on the Ridge!
Old April 2nd, 2018, 08:50 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default It's almost a season for me!

We cooked on Saturday for 12 hours. My brother was there, best friend and his daughter, my wife and two sons as well. We had a blast! Everyone, except my brother, showed up when the sun was starting to peak out. When we left, we collected about 100 gallons more. Finished and bottled almost 4 gallons today. If I can sneak out of work for the day, I might give it one last go on Wednesday. Not sure how much it's running. Sounds like the snow is coming, 6 or more inches tonight into tomorrow. Work commitments dictate that this is the end for me, as least for this season.
Old April 6th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default I'm done!

I didn't make it to the sugar bush on Wednesday, work got in the way. I did make it back late on Thursday, very little sap ran from Sunday to Thursday. So glad I didn't take the day off on Wednesday! I pull all my spiles, buckets and bags. All is packed and ready to move out of the woods. It's been a good season, considering the limited time I get to cook. I had more help than ever which made for some good memories for all of us! About 12 gallons of the good stuff! All for now, James