Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 40
Thanked 3 Times

Default 2016...??

With El Nino in full force, when does everyone plan on tapping this year?
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 212
Thanked 0 Times

I put in 4 test taps yesterday. According to weather.com for Appleton, the weather is supposed to be above freezing for a high for the rest of the month. We shall see when the tree's thaw.
Old February 17th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 125
Thanked 4 Times

Default Tappimg NW Wisconsin

I am debating on tapping this weekend. Getting real anxious to get going for the season. Built a new evaporator and am ready to put it to use. The weather forecast looks promising. Anyone else thinking this way?
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Well I need to wrap up a bathroom remodel by Friday and start packing. Will head to Cadott Sunday morning and pick up supplies on Monday. Will start tapping by Wednesday. Your all free to start tapping by then. I do have a Coasty coming from Detroit that has helped me over the years so we will be ripping it up. If I can tap everything that has a mainline close I will be a happy tapper.
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 212
Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic5794 View Post
I put in 4 test taps yesterday. According to weather.com for Appleton, the weather is supposed to be above freezing for a high for the rest of the month. We shall see when the tree's thaw.
My back yard test taps are running slowly. 1 drop every 3 seconds with 4 taps on gravity. These are on red maples and the sugar content is 2.3% which I'm happy with. Now if only they would drip faster, patience young grasshopper patience. This is in Appleton.
Old February 20th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Brother-in-law yesterday drilled into his maple in the yard. Said it was dripping the best he ever saw it. Came out awhile later and there was a small puddle under the tree.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 40
Thanked 3 Times

Heard several reports of people pulling their taps already and quitting for the season. ???

Granted, they're further south, by Baraboo, etc. Are the trees really budding there already?

What do you base the end of season on? I've never had a Spring like this one, we've always been so sick of boiling by the time the trees bud and the sap turns cloudy that we were relieved that it was over. But hell, we just tapped two weeks ago... usually we run into mid-May up in Prentice.
Old March 14th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Photos: 9
Thanked 3 Times
  View my photos  

We are 10 miles north of Rice Lake,the trees out in the open and on the south line where the sun gets to them are showing some buds. Everything else looks good. I chose to not tap the trees that are out in the open because of the weather forecast. We've collected 2650 gallons in 3 different collections. End of next week should be good.