Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 5000
Thanked 11 Times

Default Northern Wisconsin

Got 1600 in since Wednesday, Not much for dampness in the holes Wednesday or Thursday but yesterday there was a bit of life in the hard maples. Going to relax this weekend with the rain/snow mixture coming and also because the 7 day forecast looks to be on the coolish side. No need to push it when not much will happen. Should be able to coast in starting monday and get everything done by next weekend. On the way home yesterday i passed by my uncles woods he taps on bags and they were flappin in the breeze, a week to early i think for him. Glad to see some southern / eastern Wis. producers got some sap, up here we will still have time to prepare and tap.
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 0 Times

stoped at maple hollow today they are all tapped in for about a week now. they had a little run the last two days just enough to flush the lines nothing running today and no sap in storage. don't want to but I guess wait one more week. good luck everyone.
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 140
Journals: 2
Photos: 35
Thanked 15 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got It Bad View Post
stoped at maple hollow today they are all tapped in for about a week now. they had a little run the last two days just enough to flush the lines nothing running today and no sap in storage. don't want to but I guess wait one more week. good luck everyone.
Hello Got It Bad….I am just about on the same latitude as you but in nw wi….Bayfield County. Southern Bayfield county that is…It will be interesting to hear when you start collecting. I've got it bad too. All of these guys collecting is killin' me
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times
Default Maybe…….

I hate to jinx anything, but we just may actually have some sap weather coming our way by Friday…http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx
Filter Press from Daryl
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
2013 Arcade Champion
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 23 Times
Bounce Back Champion, Yeti 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yeti 5 - Flamingo Drive Champion, Yeti 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, Yeti 8 - Jungle Swing Champion, Yeti 9 - Final Spit Champion, Crash Down Champion   View my ads  

I sure hope so. Really coming late this year. As long as we have a season i can wait. NOT
2012 250 vac. some bags
2013 315 vac. 20 bags
2015 230 vac. 50 gravity/25 bags
2016 450 all on vacuum
2018 1000 taps or better
CDL management system. New for 2018
Custom Smoky Lake pans 6' drop flue
Smoky Lake arch
Deer Run Maple RO 125 hobby. New for 2014
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Thanked 2 Times

Default Little bit in Conover....

Well, my Pa and I put 186 taps around the 6th of March and another 50 that next weekend. Only had a little bit dripping.....guess we got a little gun shy due to last year. We are hoping to put out another 64ish coming up here. We were able to obtain a 500 stainless steel bulk tank this year I suppose that was my contribution to our syrup-ing, since my Dad bought all of the bottles, filters, hydrometer, etc. last year.

So, my cousin is getting married coming up here on April 13th in West Virgina....and I was to attend and then fly out to CO to visit my other cousins while my parents took about a week after the wedding to vacation........and since I couldn't change my ticket without paying an arm and a leg and I was not able to find a ticket cheap enough to fly back from West Virgina, I have decided to stay behind, since our season is a little later than anticipated. I guess I'm not willing to give up the setup we have done and the money invested this year to leave the syrup-ing behind. Does that make me a bad person? lol I told my Dad to tell my cousin that I would catch him at his next wedding. Anywho, know that I am staying behind to manage the syrup production
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
Producer

Thanked 15 Times
Default Talk about bored...

Just a few drips in the sacks, but at least it seems to have started. I was dinkin' around outside in the awesome 35* sunshine trying to get the snow off of the metal roof on the shack. I took a long rod to try to coax the snow to move on down…no luck. Just couldn't help myself, it's so darn nice out
Filter Press from Daryl
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Photos: 1
Thanked 16 Times
  View my photos  

Yeah, it really felt like a sap running day. But the trees didn't think so.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Photos: 9
Thanked 3 Times
  View my photos  

Tapped 700 yesterday and finished with 200 today. Most were dripping when drilled, but only about 1/4 of them had maybe 1 cup in by tonight. Gotta get rid of some of the snow.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 12000
Thanked 7 Times

Finally got warm enough to flip the vacuum on and start chasing leaks. No real surprises so far. Just the usual maniacal squirrel; Boo Boo bear leaves his twin canine mark on several stretches of mainline; and teething raccoon or coyote pups have decorated a few droplines with their pinholes.
Sap seems to be sticky and sweet near the leaks , so maybe it will be an easier year on the woodpile than the last couple.
Sure was a beauty of a day out there. My legs still work, my ears can still hear a whistle from a distance, and there's that feeling of being on a mission that eludes me the rest of the year. Man, sugaring rocks!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CR Commando For This Helpful Post:
GramaCindy (March 24th, 2013), mike z (March 24th, 2013), sbingham (March 24th, 2013)