Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default New Wisconsin registration

Just a heads up to all Wisconsinites that sell ANY syrup. The state has new requirements. The old rule of if you just sold from home or farm stands is out. You now must register no matter what. You must have a clean, separate processing room other than your home kitchen, 3 compartment sink. There is no inspection or fee if sales are under $5000, but you may not purchase any sap either.
http://datcp.wi.gov/Food/Honey_and_M...rup/index.aspx
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 80
Thanked 0 Times

WOW!!! Just got done reading your link. I have to say I'm not a big fan of this at all. This was the first year I was going to sell at a number of markets. I've always just sold to friends, co-workers that sort of thing. I was hoping to get out there and try to increase my sales, but not sure that will be happening at this point. I certainly can't afford a seperate area for my small operation. (I was shooting for 20-25 gals of syrup this year) What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

Thanks,

HOSER
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I have a separate kitchen and was told by the state inspectors that I can allow bottling in my facility for producers that passed the manf. part of the operation. I would partner with someone in your area. I did have a fellow producer/SBI member bottle last year and he was allowed to sell retail. This is why I think its always beneficial to nurture relationships with other like minded producers.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

The funny thing is that I am a real stickler for the law EXACTLY as it reads. Look closely and see that although it says you need 3 compartment sink there is no wording for potable water. So throw up s wall around your bottler, throw in 3 sinks next to it and legally you are good to go. Gotta love government.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Photos: 1
Thanked 16 Times
  View my photos  

Oh, I'm sure it's there, you just have to dig a little deeper. Yep, this could make a lot of us rethink our maple futures.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 350
Thanked 2 Times

Though I am not a large producer, I still find this to be ignorant. I am going to be 27 in March and as a young adult I fear the onset of all these rules and regulations and a bubble wrapped society. Frankly I am tired of it and certain I was born 100 years late.
-No Shack Yet
-Myself & my Pa
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

In Wisconsin you can bottle in a certifyed kitchen so find someone that will allow you to bottle using there equipment. I let a SBI member bottle at my place last year and the state inspected his evap bldg. and allowed him to use my kitchen.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:00 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 0 Times
  View my photos  

More of WALKER'S big business only atitude. No one wanted to listen when it only affected public workers. Now we can all enjoy the benefits.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:24 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

It has more o do with Homeland Security sticking there nose in on food safety. Is it good for the industry...Dont know?? Will it make for better syrup Might stop a few back yarders I dought Walker is to blame
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Thanked 5 Times

Default following the herd

We are nothing more than a herd of sheep being led to slaughter! Eventually the big money will dominate and all of us will loose this annual springtime enjoyment. Get ready to find a new hobby. This hasn't affected me yet but will be a major blow to most producers around here. When will this nonsense stop! Looks like it's time to move south and sit on the beach.
The Following User Says Thank You to mapleguy For This Post:
live_4_the_king (March 3rd, 2013)