Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 0 Times

Default getting pumped

I am pumped up for this season mainly because last year was so bad this year cant go much more down hill only up! excitement is rising everything clean and doing finishing touches on the shack this weekend!
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:14 AM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 46 Times

Default Welcome, Chase

First, Welcome to the Site, A guy can learn a lot on here,
maple wise and other wise

We all get excited this time of year, and I'm with you the law of averages says this should be a better season.

Tap Well, Boil Well, Be Well. BobU
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Im just pumped that season isnt here yet. Last year at this time we had the taps in for over a week already. If i remember right our test taps went in the 2nd week of january and we missed a couple of runs because we had no pans. There was no snow on the ground and only a few inches of frost. This year there is plenty of frost and 3 feet of snow on the ground.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 5 Times

It's not time to tap just yet down here on the south end of the state, but it's close. I noticed my box elders were leaking sap fairly well yesterday from some branches I trimmed off during the winter. Thankfully we're supposed to freeze up again for the next week or so because I'm still not ready.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Got to Door County today in a blizzard. 20" of snow in the woods. Will be spending the next week in the shack installing RO and the pallet tanks Im going to get on Friday. Will have to do some fancy plowing to get the gravel nice and clean to level the 3 permeate tanks for washing. Will start driving the woods with the ATV to pack down the trails.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

What's your planned date on tapping I was out in my bush this afternoon And most of the 4 inches of snow was melting off the trees. I have been watching the weather fairly close seems to me we have one more week to get things ready for the fun.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 80
Thanked 0 Times

Planning on tapping next weekend here on the WI-IL stateline. The city had trimmed some maples and they had sap running today, but it looks like a cool down for a few days around here.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

I was thinking the same up here. The weather looks to b in our favor after the 23rd.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Got a lot longer too wait yet. It's usually 5-8 degrees cooler in the woods than what the weather says it will be. It also takes 3-4 warm sunny days to thaw out the trees so they can run. I got a few test taps out to watch but my best guess is it won't start until St patty's weekend. Now if I had a very open woods with a south facing steep slope I would think a little sooner.
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
Thanked 2 Times

I'll be tapping my big trees on top of the hill next week. That will be the first hundred taps. Then do the yard trees, then the 350 in the big bush. looks like after the 23 it could run for a couple days then get cold for a few days. After last year I don't want to miss any sap.
97 honda 400 for sap collection
500 gallon bulk tank for sap holding