Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 17th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 0 Times

Maple Flats thanks so much for the information. I will definitely research the diaphragm pump.
3rdgen.maple...I've been thinking of thinning to be honest. But I don't want to overdue it because I've heard that can be bad as well. Do you have a certain way and or method of doing it? My entire understory is all maple lol. And not stripe lol.
OneLegJohn...I'm impressed to say the least going from 250 and a 2x6 to 10,5 and 4x14. How long did that take? I'm sure there were learning curves and lumps. I think that could potentially be in my future bc where I work the number taps could easily get to that number obviously years down the road.
Old April 18th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

Generally you don't worry about the under story except to remove any poorly shaped or multiple trunk trees. On the crop trees remove any that are crowding another. To know if it is crowding, look up, if the canopies touch a lot, one is crowding the other. When you remove a tree, just open 1 side at a time. Then let that fill back in (the canopy) for about 3-4 years, then open another side. Don't open too much at one time, doing that can create issues, like sun scalding, excessive eppicormic (sp?) branching (all trees have dormant buds on their trunk that sprout new limbs when exposed to new sunlight). You could also get wind throw (wind damage because the tree no longer has close neighbors to help break the wind).
Thinning at a healthy pace will take time but will yield in the long term with healthier, stronger trees, bigger canopies and higher sap sugar %. It takes leaves to make sugar.
Check to see if Virginia or your county has foresters on their payroll, ones that help you decide how to properly thin. NY does, they do it both thru master forester volunteers thru a land grant college, and the state has foresters who will visit your woods, listen to your goals and then help you plan what steps to take, how to do it and how fast to do it. In NY there is no fee for that, in some states there may be one. Another method might also be to check with a private forester, who you would pay. In a day or 2 they could often coach you, mark trees and be done, depending on the size and complexity of the woods. You may well have multiple goals, they can address all of the goals.
www.cnymaple.com
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8ACfshr7Qc0WZy
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:53 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Thanks again Maple Flats. That is some great info that I plan on putting to use. 3rdgenmaple thanks for the link because that is some great information as well. I really appreciate the fact people on here are willing to help people that are fairly new to this.
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:59 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/3...th-a-pump/185/
Actually just found this article which is kind of what I was originally asking about. So apparently it's called a hybrid system according to this article.