Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 13th, 2019, 06:20 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 12

Default Little Help, leaking spile

Hopefully everyone is not too busy to lend some advise.

Is there any way to seal a leaky spile?

I have a couple of clear check valve spiles that are leaking from the tree, as in flowing down to the ground. The one I checked again yesterday has the drop full of sap but it is still leaking down the tree.
I tapped the few trees on my lot last Friday and have been waiting, as I have read that some will seal up in time. But these are not.

It wasn't till I was about half way through drilling my 15 taps that I felt my drill wobble. The next hole it did not. But when I checked later I saw the drill bit does wobble. Time for a new one.

The other issue was in a test run, I drilled a 5/16 hole, using my drill press, in a 2x4 and found that only the rounded nose of the spile fit. It would go no further. A larger 21/64 bit allowed it to go about 1/3 to 1/2 the way in. So I used that. So between the larger bit and wobble, some taps when in farther - which is not bad - and the holes were not round I have a couple of leaks.
Old March 13th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1630
Thanked 128 Times

If it's a wobbled out of round hole there is not much you can't do with those taps. You can try to carefully reseat your spiles a little deeper with a hammer since you used a slightly bigger bit.
a bunch of buckets no tubing yet