Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 17th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 10 Times

Default Giles Bernard Releaser adjustment

I bought a used single vertical Giles Bernard releaser last spring. Yesterday I was testing it and it will “trip” to release the sap but won’t reset to return vacuum to the chamber. When I looked at the small arm where the tubing connects to the piston, it appears that I’m actually too high for both holes. Is there an adjustment to lower the arm on these? I see a small C shaped piece of metal that connects the rod (from which the float hangs) to the arm that is a likely candidate for some bending if there’s no other adjustment but I thought I’d ask for advice first.
I know people often suggest adding weights to their float. I don’t think that’s the problem here because when I physically tried to push the arm down it was bottomed our- so the float is all the way down.
There also might be some “crud” in one of the 5/16 lines at the top of the releaser. I’m going to try cleaning that today. However, I can see that the home on the arm doesn’t fully line up with two stationary holes so I’m guessing that’s my problem. Since they’re both too high, if there was an easy way to make that arm just a bit lower I’m guessing that would help.
Thanks for your advice. I’m new to these so just starting to find my way.
Josh
Old February 17th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 3020
Thanked 29 Times

My best advice for you is to buy a different releaser. (Lapierre). When I first started using vacuum in 2006, I bought 3 Bernard releasers. I had noting but trouble with all three of them all season. I sold them and bought Lapierre releasers which have a simple float operated up and down dump trip. Still using those same releasers and they still work great.

Joe
2010 925 taps on new 2 stage vacuum
2014 3045 taps on vacuum and new 1200 gph RO
3' x 10' oil fired Leader evaporator with steamaway
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:56 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

What vacuum level are you using? Most of the original releasers were really only designed to handle 20" of vacuum. When you start getting into the mid-high 20s vacuum, they start to behave badly. Newer styles will do better at high vacuum, but can still cause problems when the vacuum starts to get above 25" Hg. We would regularly (every 2-3 yrs) send our mechanical releasers back to the dealer for disassembly and refurbishment.

Try cleaning the SS float rod really well, then polishing it very lightly with SS wool (the kind without the soap), followed by a very light coat of lube, which is then mostly wiped off with a dry cloth (no cleaner, just dry wipe). You might have to do that several times over the season.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
The Following User Says Thank You to DrTimPerkins For This Post:
Jstamp (February 19th, 2019)
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 10 Times

Thanks for the advice! I was running about 22”. However, the problem in this case is that I had a small insect nest inside the tube that conveys vacuum to the piston to reset it (the hoses were pretty dark so what looked like a little “crud” from the outside was actually enough of a blockage I couldn’t run a wire through it. After some soaking and cleaning I put it back together and it seems to work. I’m going to do the cleaning regiment as suggested. Any advice (pro or con) on the food grade silicon spray for lubricating the piston? Necessary? I have some “slick and slide” food grade silicon I can get from a loca plumbing store which might work too.

And, If I were to send these back in for a rebuild, anyone know where to send them? I don’t find Giles Bernard online anywhere.