Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 24th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Nothing to be scared of...... This DSD adaptor was manufactured for reusing more expensive taps. The way I look at it there is the potential of some BIG time savings if the check valve will function properly in the second year.
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

While I never checked the percentage of stuck check balls as I pull taps, for sure a few are stuck. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say maybe 5-7%. With this new idea in place it might then be advisable for the stuck check ball taps to be boiled to see if the balls are then not stuck. (or dispose of all with the check ball stuck). Then your idea may be a good one. For this season I am trying 3 different taps, while my last 6 or more seasons have all gotten new CV2 and before that CV1 every year.
This year I'm going new CV2 on half, new DSD taps (only on new drops) on a quarter and new anti microbial taps on a quarter. This will be an unscientific test to compare. On the anti microbial taps only I'm going to try 2 seasons. I have never tried 2 seasons on any tap previously.
Hopefully I can find a safe way to reduce the cost of taps while still maintaining good sanitation practices for good production.
www.cnymaple.com
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

When I pull taps my vac is on and I flushed my line through the tap. From my own experience it does a good job clearing debree around the ball. I personally think it be less time consuming to replace 5-7% of the bad taps than 100% every year. For me I'm looking to speed up the tapping process with minimal impact on sap production as possible. I wasn't considering the cost factor associated but looking at that it's over a 600 dollar savings every year I'd use a dsd adaptor. Bonus!
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdgen.maple For This Post:
RHale (January 25th, 2018)
Old January 25th, 2018, 02:33 PM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Can't say one way or the other whether it'll work. I'd be concerned that the CV spout (or any spout end) in the adapter is no longer in a sanitary state, or that the ball is contaminated. As you said, an unscientific test. At the very least you will get the benefit of using a new spout, so should gain due to that.

I'll also add that in the extensive studies we've done, unless you are getting extremely low baseline sap yields (no vacuum), the benefits of using improved sanitation are almost always positive (the economic benefit of using improved sanitation in terms of increased sap yield and sap value outweighs the cost of employing the strategy), and that includes using the CV system. Typically replacement strategies provide the highest net economic gain, with the CV and new drops (including new spouts) ending up as #1 / #2 together (depending upon the circumstances), and using new spouts (non-CV) ranking #3. Due to labor and material costs, cleaning methods typically fall behind replacement strategies. I hope we (myself, Dr. Abby van den Berg and Steve Childs) will have a summary article out on this soon, and it will be accompanied by a spreadsheet tool to allow producers to calculate estimates of yield, costs, net profit for different cleaning/replacement scenarios. Might be two articles....one summarizing the study and the second focusing on the spreadsheet tool.

As for the antimicrobial spout, we've not tried them at UVM PMRC for a long time, although I know Steve Childs (Cornell Maple Program) has had some success with them. We experimented with this concept a few years before they became available commercially, at around the same time we were working on the CV idea (we considered patenting it ourselves, but didn't). We went the other route for several reasons, the primary one being that anti-microbial silver is not allowed in organic maple production (UVM PMRC is a certified organic maple producer). As I understand, the inability to gain organic certification isn't due to the silver, but rather is due to the nano-particle carrier of the silver ions. I also don't know that anyone has looked at how much or what happens to the silver that is released into the sap, but think it would be a nice thing to know.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrTimPerkins For This Helpful Post:
RHale (January 25th, 2018), Wiam (January 28th, 2018)