Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default How to shut down gas driven vacuum pump

This year I'm adding another remote woods on gas engine vacuum pumps. Small woods so running 24/7 all year is cost prohibitive.

I have a 3040 Gast pump that's uses a Honda engine , with my 5 gallon auxiliary gas tank I can get about 18 hours run time . Plenty for those overnight sap runs.

My new woods I'm running a 1065 gast with a 1/2hp electric motor. Honda 2000 generator for power supply . This setup should sip gas , the Honda will idle down as needed.

Anybody use a temperature controller to shut down gas engines ? I have found 12 volt supply controllers that draw less than 3 watts so a 12 battery would last a long time . I also wonder if I could just plug a 120 volt temperature controller into the generator and use it to shut down?

Spoke to the resident small engine guru XYZ this morning and grounding out the coil wire should work , just like the on/off switch.
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

I don't use a temperature to shut off, I just go by the forecast and only put enough gas in the tank to run about 2 hrs past freeze up (I have a 4.5 gal tank set up at the pump) I get 17 hrs on a full tank. When I go to refuel and pump the sap, I guess how much to put in. This worked fine for the last 10 seasons. For times when the 1000 gal tank (on about 600 taps) gets full, I have a wire set up to short out the spark, The tank is grounded and I have a copper wire from the shut off switch that extends into the tank about 2" down from the top. If the sap gets that high the pump quits (only happened once).
www.cnymaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Maple Flats For This Post:
wishlist (January 4th, 2018)
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
I don't use a temperature to shut off, I just go by the forecast and only put enough gas in the tank to run about 2 hrs past freeze up (I have a 4.5 gal tank set up at the pump) I get 17 hrs on a full tank. When I go to refuel and pump the sap, I guess how much to put in. This worked fine for the last 10 seasons. For times when the 1000 gal tank (on about 600 taps) gets full, I have a wire set up to short out the spark, The tank is grounded and I have a copper wire from the shut off switch that extends into the tank about 2" down from the top. If the sap gets that high the pump quits (only happened once).
Thanks Dave. I've done that for 3 years on one remote woods . It's ok but temp controller would work so much better for my needs . I have, I think , figured out an easy and inexpensive way to do it. Auber instruments has been very helpful .