Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
I've run 2 sugar bushes where the vacuum pumps ran off gas engines. If you go with a conventional vac pump you are better off putting the engine on the pump. When you use a generator it has to run at full speed, if the engine is sized right it can run a 2/3 full throttle which is the best fuel economy on most engines. I've never had a theft or vandal issue, but my pumps were not able to be seen from the road. One of mine was 900' from the road, the other only 40' but it sat in an old cellar hole that was 6' deep.
Just build a barricade to hide it.
How many gallons of fuel would you budget for running a pump this way?
Smokey Lake Water jacketed finish pan & bottler
Deer Run hobby 125RO
375 taps and I seem to keep finding more
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

I don't recall, but my daily fuel use was 1 fueling of 4.5 gal which on one pump gave me 14-14.5 hrs, the other ran 17-18 hrs on 4.5 gal (the tanks were 4.5 gal.) Then if it was going to run all night I fueled again in the evening. The times cam out at .33 gph on one pump and .27 gph on the other. I followed the forecast and tried to time it so the pumps ran about 2 hrs after the temp got to 30 F, if forecast to get colder. If staying at 29 or 30 over night the pumps ran all night. The seasonal use depended on the length of season and the number of all nighters.
I don't have a breakdown on fuel, my fuel costs are all in a lump category "fuel-pumps, atv, mower, tiller" I can sort out my use by month but it would still have ATV and the pumps in together. My tractors and excavator are diesel and they are separate, delivered farm diesel.
My total fuel use from 1/1 to 5/15 in 2013 was $565, in 14 was $410 in 15 was $261 in 16 was $324 and in 17 was $178. That covers 2 bushes with gas pumps in 13-14 and then I dropped one lease and cut back in15-16-17. The currant lease rarely gets the atv used in it, but the one I dropped got lots of atv use in repair, tapping and pulling taps but not much if any once the snow got too deep, but then it used the snowmobile.
As such my 2013 season was the most because I did lots of expansion that year so much of the extra fuel was during expansion from 1/1 til the sap started to run as we were hauling tubing and equipment in with ATV or snomobile.
www.cnymaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Maple Flats For This Post:
1arch (August 29th, 2017)
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
I don't recall, but my daily fuel use was 1 fueling of 4.5 gal which on one pump gave me 14-14.5 hrs, the other ran 17-18 hrs on 4.5 gal (the tanks were 4.5 gal.) Then if it was going to run all night I fueled again in the evening. The times cam out at .33 gph on one pump and .27 gph on the other. I followed the forecast and tried to time it so the pumps ran about 2 hrs after the temp got to 30 F, if forecast to get colder. If staying at 29 or 30 over night the pumps ran all night. The seasonal use depended on the length of season and the number of all nighters.
I don't have a breakdown on fuel, my fuel costs are all in a lump category "fuel-pumps, atv, mower, tiller" I can sort out my use by month but it would still have ATV and the pumps in together. My tractors and excavator are diesel and they are separate, delivered farm diesel.
My total fuel use from 1/1 to 5/15 in 2013 was $565, in 14 was $410 in 15 was $261 in 16 was $324 and in 17 was $178. That covers 2 bushes with gas pumps in 13-14 and then I dropped one lease and cut back in15-16-17. The currant lease rarely gets the atv used in it, but the one I dropped got lots of atv use in repair, tapping and pulling taps but not much if any once the snow got too deep, but then it used the snowmobile.
As such my 2013 season was the most because I did lots of expansion that year so much of the extra fuel was during expansion from 1/1 til the sap started to run as we were hauling tubing and equipment in with ATV or snomobile.
Flats to clarify further you ran a single gas pump in 15-16&17?
So according to my calculations approximately $233 year was a rough average reduction when you stopped using one of the gas vacuum pumps.
So using an estimated average of $2.20 gallon you may have hauled as much as 104 gallons of gasoline to that bush. (21 - 5 gallon containers?)
Iím looking at an 80 acre Bush with no power but a new utility electric service may be an option. Being an electrical contractor my cost to install a service is far north of $233.
Smokey Lake Water jacketed finish pan & bottler
Deer Run hobby 125RO
375 taps and I seem to keep finding more
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

On my one remote bush utility electric would be costly for sure. The nearest lines are over a mile away and I'd need to buy the poles, plus the wire plus the pole service up front but if anyone builds in that stretch in the next 15 years I'd get about 1/3 of the cost of the pole and wire charge, if 2 build I'd get 2/3 and a 3rd building in that stretch I'd get it all back except my own pole service. I didn't get the price but my brother had to do it to get power to his house back in 1990 and he had to pay for a 800' of a 900' extension and the cost was over $18000. He did eventually get 2/3 of the road side pole and wire costs about 10-11 years later as he sold 2 lots and people built homes there. To top it all off, he was also the 3rd one to build but the utility accessed him for another 300' to to extend the line so he could get power to some rental storage units he was putting in. I'm not sure how that ended but he was fighting it.
www.cnymaple.com
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 10,500
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

Have you considered a generator to run the drive of a 3Phase motor? The reason we size generators so much larger on single phase motors is the initial hard start. With a 3Phase motor you can slowly start the motor by converting the single phase power source into 3Phase from the use of a VSD.

Dad and I ran a 5HP Atlas Copco vacuum pump on a 20Amp breaker all season. I want to make sure you are aware that the manual for the drive calls for a 30Amp breaker and my father is a professional. He designed and tested drives for an industry leader. He was not concerned at all because he programmed the drive for the application. I'm just his helper on this stuff.

It certainly makes you rethink the power requirements. For years maple farmers have been upgrading their power service. I've done it myself twice. If I had known the benefits of converting to 3Phase, I would have saved a fortune in reducing the power line size. Not only that, you can run the power consumption based on demand - not at 100%.
Thank you to the maple community forums!
www.bissellmaplefarm.com