Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:11 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Tubbing install in steps

Okay... woodlot being thinned this late summer / early fall before tubing install. I want to run my idea by the tubing Gurus out there to make sure my idea will work. Woodlot has about 800 available taps right now and expected to hit 1000 several years after thinning. Currently I can't process that much sap nor can I afford the $15k install costs (I had to replace two vehicles and a swimming pool unexpectedly which depleted funding). My plan is to install tubing for half the taps this year on gravity then add the second half and vacuum within the next year or maybe two. I am not concerned about efficiency in the temporary gravity install but want to ensure I am setting things up correctly for later expansion and vac. Advice, opinions, what should I be aware of that the installer does not do? I know I could sell the surplus sap but just can't swing a full install this year after the thinning and other unrelated expenses but buckets are for the birds! They were fun when I had 25 or 50 but at 300 I am spending way too much time and effort on collecting. Looking to use Rapitube so I don't have wires in the bush.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

Tell us more about the lay of the land. How much slope does it have and what is the layout plan?
www.cnymaple.com
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:32 AM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Are you hiring an installer or doing it yourself?

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:11 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Will be hiring it out to a local guy that does many installs. Largest slope in my area is where you pile the snow from the driveway. Kidding aside there is a small knoll and an opposing low spot (which does not flood in spring) so getting the correct slop on the lines should work out okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Tubbing install in steps-thinning1.jpg   Tubbing install in steps-thinning2.jpg  
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex View Post
Okay... woodlot being thinned this late summer / early fall before tubing install. I want to run my idea by the tubing Gurus out there to make sure my idea will work. Woodlot has about 800 available taps right now and expected to hit 1000 several years after thinning. Currently I can't process that much sap nor can I afford the $15k install costs (I had to replace two vehicles and a swimming pool unexpectedly which depleted funding). My plan is to install tubing for half the taps this year on gravity then add the second half and vacuum within the next year or maybe two. I am not concerned about efficiency in the temporary gravity install but want to ensure I am setting things up correctly for later expansion and vac. Advice, opinions, what should I be aware of that the installer does not do? I know I could sell the surplus sap but just can't swing a full install this year after the thinning and other unrelated expenses but buckets are for the birds! They were fun when I had 25 or 50 but at 300 I am spending way too much time and effort on collecting. Looking to use Rapitube so I don't have wires in the bush.
So how many taps are you planning on running next season? Are they all from this woods or are you going to run two bushes? What is the max taps you figure you can run before you would have to start selling sap?
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

Quote:
Will be hiring it out to a local guy that does many installs. Largest slope in my area is where you pile the snow from the driveway. Kidding aside there is a small knoll and an opposing low spot (which does not flood in spring) so getting the correct slop on the lines should work out okay.
Bryan,
Slop on the lines is okay, just try not to get it in the lines
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:16 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnagel View Post
So how many taps are you planning on running next season? Are they all from this woods or are you going to run two bushes? What is the max taps you figure you can run before you would have to start selling sap?
I want to run 400 taps on gravity next season and then 800+ on vac the following year all in the same lot but that may push back on extra year depending on funding for the building and all new equipment. I can't handle the additional 400 taps currently so if I am not ready to process it myself that is when I would sell sap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
Bryan,
Slop on the lines is okay, just try not to get it in the lines
LOL... had a local producer that tried to install his own lines for the first time. 30% of his runs ended up going up hill. Guy I will hire fixed it for him the next year.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Then look at cutting some costs here Brian. I looked at your pictures and the trees that are being thinned are not huge trees. So why not pay the forester for the time he has in it for the time being. And cut the area yourself that your 400 taps are going to be at. Cut the rest the following year. I know it looks daunting but if you look at my post in the firewood section titled this years firewood progress report. I cut all that wood in a very short time. Working two hours here and there at a crack. And I pulled it all out of the woods using an atv with a couple of nylon straps a couple logs at a time. The logs that were 20 plus inches around I would drag out by themselves. A couple of friends helping and you could get this done in no time. My 9yr old son and I dragged all these logs out in an 8 hour day. He was driving the atv the whole time and loved it. If you did this then you would save the cost of the forester. You wouldn't have to buck it all up right away find a spot and stack it up with a tractor or something. Later you could cut and split it and sell it for firewood and that will also help pay for tubing. Also when talking with your tubing installer ask him ways to save money. Some may just string and place the mainline and laterals. And let you do the side ties and drops. Every installer is different. They're like any other profession they have there own set ways of doing things. Ask him lot's of questions it's your hard earned money. With not paying the forester you maybe able to find a bender releaser or a used releaser. Look around in the dairy barns and find an old pump and a harbor freight 99 dollar motor you would be in business. Even ebay you can find vacuum pumps for as low as 75 buck. Ebay has bender releasers on there from time to time that sell for under 200 bucks. Just some ideas and thoughts for you.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Thanked 409 Times

The forester and logging are two separate projects. Forester was hired specifically for the maple stand tree marking and the management of the logging. The logger pays a small amount given the task at hand so there is no cost there. I simply don't have the equipment to thin the bush properly. I can drop the trees but pooched at that point with no way to move them through dense forest full of rock. This will not be profitable for the logger but the forester gives him enough "good work" that he needs to take on projects like this as needed. My main concern is that I want a temporary partial tubing install that will plug into a full high vac install later on.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 110 Times

Quote:
The forester and logging are two separate projects. Forester was hired specifically for the maple stand tree marking and the management of the logging. The logger pays a small amount given the task at hand so there is no cost there. I simply don't have the equipment to thin the bush properly. I can drop the trees but pooched at that point with no way to move them through dense forest full of rock. This will not be profitable for the logger but the forester gives him enough "good work" that he needs to take on projects like this as needed. My main concern is that I want a temporary partial tubing install that will plug into a full high vac install later on.
Sorry I thought in your other post in the firewood section that you would be paying him for this project.
Wife and 4 kids.