Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Webmaster
Producer

Number of Taps: 249
Classified Ads: 3
Journals: 7
Photos: 26
Thanked 409 Times
  View my photos   View my ads   Read my journals
Default Have to scrap the truck

Bought a 10 year old truck a few years back that we have been really happy with. Extended cab, long box, four wheel drive which is a little bit of a challenge to find. Most trucks these days are four door with baby boxes. Rear brake line let go and when the shop went to lift the trick the frame started to collapse. Seems rust has eaten it's way through on both sides at the bottom of the frame in line with the cab door hinges. I did manage to get the lines replaced by lifting the rear end only but it also means I need to scrap the truck. Disappointing given everything works just fine and both Merna & I like it. A local guy figures he can weld on support plates but it all depends on how extensive the rust is but it still doesn't resolve the problem. Truck needs to be scrapped - just a matter of how long I have to replace it. It's not a daily driver so maybe I'll keep it until it collapses one day when I load it with wood then post it on YouTube.
Old June 11th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

YEA frames can be a very important part of a trucks performance. This is how I see it going down......Pun intended. Your loaded to the rails with fire wood and your ripping down the road and an Armadillo runs out from the woods right into your path. Merna grabs the wheel and yanks it hard right all the while your stepping on the brakes with both feet. The frames buckles under the extreme G forces. As the frame crushes and bends the brake lines shear away leaving you with nothing to stop the truck but the wood lot full of mature maples complete with rapid tubing throughout. Merna is doing he best to steer clear of the trees but the mainlines are starting to slow you down and soon you both look at each other knowing what the end result is going to be. Its amazing what goes thru you mind at times like this.
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
YEA frames can be a very important part of a trucks performance. This is how I see it going down......Pun intended. Your loaded to the rails with fire wood and your ripping down the road and an Armadillo runs out from the woods right into your path. Merna grabs the wheel and yanks it hard right all the while your stepping on the brakes with both feet. The frames buckles under the extreme G forces. As the frame crushes and bends the brake lines shear away leaving you with nothing to stop the truck but the wood lot full of mature maples complete with rapid tubing throughout. Merna is doing he best to steer clear of the trees but the mainlines are starting to slow you down and soon you both look at each other knowing what the end result is going to be. Its amazing what goes thru you mind at times like this.
The Rapid tubing absorbs all the momentum, stretching meters from its original position, then rebounds with a snap, sending the truck straight back out onto the road and over the offending rodent, realigning the frame in the process, and you continue merrily on your way, looking at each other wondering "did that just happen?"