Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Default ideas for making collecting and transporting easy.

So I am interested to see if anybody else has this problem. We have one of our cookers set up on the farm where I live. However we don't have any woods on this farm so we must travel from farm to farm where we have permisson to tap. To far away to run down the roads with the four wheeler so we must trailer it. Collect and transport it back to the farm. Now all I have is a 4x4 four wheeler with a trailer cart. I am thinking about laying a 55 gallon drum sideways for a collection tank in the cart. Cart has been modified and stronger axle with big lawn mower tires added also. And truck with a 220 gallon truck tank. also have acess to 6x12 trailer. What would you guys do to make collecting faster and easier in this scenrio. By the way we run bucket no tubing and no power of any kind except for maybe batteries. We would be collection hopefully in the neighborhood of 200 to 250 taps.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Thanked 87 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

So u use the ATF to do the collecting and then transfer into the truck tank via a battery powered pump? I have seen many use a generator on the back of the truck to pump from collecting tank into the truck tank then unload at the sugar house the same way
Sap puller
12x20 grim filter canner.
2017 equipment purchased: short bank Wes fab filter press and spring tech micro elite two post ro!
Plenty of hardwood split! May take 2017 off this year...
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Collecting and transporting are two different problems. I would go with the pallet tank on the 6X12 and that gives you room for you to dump sap from the buckets into the tank. NOW you can mount a cut off barrel on the trailer with a 12Volt sump pump or bilge pump in it to pump the sap into the trailer tank and that way as you go down the trail all your help has to do is dump into the barrel and up it goes. Make sure the sump pump fills to the top of the trailer tank so it cant siphon back out the barrel. Check vales are a wonderful thing. Get a good battery and have a wire from the truck to keep it fresh. Get a sump pump with the float so you don't have to keep switching it on and off. Less people riding the trailer and more in the woods.
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:10 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

here's what a fellow member Jim Sudz has done. maybe this could be a help.

Message - Sugarbush.Info Photo Gallery

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Moser that is the same exact tank that I have a 220 gallon truck tank. I like the transfer pump that would be really handy. however for my sitution I wouldn't be able to keep the pump mounted on the tank with the hose or would I. I guess I would have to think on it more.

Chuck I also have to trailer the atv and cart with me from farm to farm otherwise I would definantly go the cage tank route. I am thinking that I am just going to have to have the tank on the truck and then go pick up the sap in the atv with a tank mounted on my cart. The lawn cart has been modified so that it has larger lawn mower tires for better floatation. And yes I do realize that collection and transportation is different but in this case I need to find the quickest and easist to get all this done.

So far some good ideas I just wish there was a fast way to load and unload the atv without having to use 4 ratchet straps all the time and still have it secured to the trailer.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.