Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
  #1  
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:01 PM
vikinghb's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Varna Ontario
Number of Taps: 280
Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: 1
Posts: 226
Thanked 9 Times
  View my photos  
Default ATV/QUAD Bush Hauler

Like a lot of you my bush is waist high with snow, No way my 4 wheel drive tractor will get through to pick up sap. I don't know much about atvs or quads, so would this work to get around in the bush?
Then land is very flat. If it would work your suggestions on type, brand, or alternative would help.
__________________
250 taps gravity & buckets
30" X 8' Lapierre Raised
14 X 30 sugar shack includes a bunkie(my doghouse)
Kioti 30hp sap hauler
2 mastiffs who love squirrels

Last edited by vikinghb; February 16th, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 16th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Banned
Producer


 
Location: Parker Colorado/Jacksonport wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Posts: 7,188
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

They have there limitations. I have a Polaris 500 HO sportsmen and I had to get my woods plowed. I was lucky Grazer came over with his tractor and open up my wood but I still had to be carful. I put a winch on the back so I can pull myself out NOT deeper.
Attached Thumbnails
ATV/QUAD Bush Hauler-wp_20130314_003.jpg  

Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; February 16th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Buckeye Gold's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Ross County, Ohio 45612
Number of Taps: 100
Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: 1
Posts: 413
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
They have there limitations. I have a Polaris 500 HO sportsmen and I had to get my woods plowed. I was lucky Grazer came over with his tractor and open up my wood but I still had to be careful. I put a winch on the back so I can pull myself out NOT deeper.
quite a set up there Haynes....do you have a relative named Rube Goldberg? Heck if i had more than 10 taps on ground that flat I wouldn't know how to act, and i could take the 500 lbs of counter balance weights off the front of my tractor.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:31 AM
xyz5150's Avatar
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer
 
Location: Durand, Michigan
Number of Taps: 400
Join Date: Oct 2011
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Posts: 3,567
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinghb View Post
Like a lot of you my bush is waist high with snow, No way my 4 wheel drive tractor will get through to pick up sap. I don't know much about atvs or quads, so would this work to get around in the bush?
Then land is very flat. If it would work your suggestions on type, brand, or alternative would help.
With 2 -3 feet of powder snow like we have now an atv without tracks will go fewer places than your 4 wheel drive tractor. Ground clearance and weight give the tractor an advantage. Once the snow crusts a lighter atv will somewhat float on top of the snow and a heavy tractor wont. I got a new tractor last year and man am i glad i did with close to two feet of ground clearance i have been everywhere i wanted to go so far while all of my atv's are setting in the garage collecting dust.
__________________
Sunrise Metal Shop/DSD/Husqvarna/Jonsered/Heatmor Dealer in Mid Michigan
THOU SHALT NOT STIHL
http://xyzlandscapesupply.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Banned
Producer


 
Location: Parker Colorado/Jacksonport wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Posts: 7,188
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

Like this woods Buckeye it has a mild slope to the old sugar house.
Attached Thumbnails
ATV/QUAD Bush Hauler-wp_20130308_002.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:27 AM
TLMaple's Avatar
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer
 
Location: Grieg, NY Lewis County
Number of Taps: 450
Join Date: Dec 2011
Journals: 3
Photos: 43
Posts: 292
Thanked 42 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

We use our Rhino to collect sap with, we install the tracks as soon as the snow hits and keep our trails open to sap tanks in the sugar bush all winter by riding them everytime it snows. Here's a pic with my Grandson. Took a ride out yesterday, stepped out of the Rhino, snow was up above my knees, wife will be tapping with her snow shoes this year!

__________________
1 Wife, the BOSS!
1 Yamaha Rhino, with tracks
1 Honda Pioneer, with tracks
1 3616 Mahindra Tractor
1 2' x 8' Leader Arch
1 2' x 2' Syrup & 2' X 8' Raised Flue Grimm Lightning Pans
1 Grimm vintage RO mfg date 1492
2 Sons
2 Daughter Inlaws
4 Grand Kids
13 Laying Hens
7 Roosters
2 Pits
4 Cats
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
xyz5150's Avatar
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer
 
Location: Durand, Michigan
Number of Taps: 400
Join Date: Oct 2011
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Posts: 3,567
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMaple View Post
We use our Rhino to collect sap with, we install the tracks as soon as the snow hits and keep our trails open to sap tanks in the sugar bush all winter by riding them everytime it snows. Here's a pic with my Grandson. Took a ride out yesterday, stepped out of the Rhino, snow was up above my knees, wife will be tapping with her snow shoes this year!

Thats how to get around in deep snow with an atv! Turn him loose grandpa! You have a good brush guard on the front right. Lol
__________________
Sunrise Metal Shop/DSD/Husqvarna/Jonsered/Heatmor Dealer in Mid Michigan
THOU SHALT NOT STIHL
http://xyzlandscapesupply.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Buckeye Gold's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Ross County, Ohio 45612
Number of Taps: 100
Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: 1
Posts: 413
Thanked 145 Times
  View my photos  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Like this woods Buckeye it has a mild slope to the old sugar house.
That still looks flat to me. I have hills, but usually don't have much snow to contend with, we all have our challenges. However, right now I'm looking at 18 inches of crusted snow on a 15 -25% grade on my sap roads and all I can do is sigh and think "crap I hate packing sap".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member
Producer
 
Location: Greenwood WI
Number of Taps: 210
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 674
Thanked 126 Times
 
Default

TLMaple,
How much loose snow will that setup go thru? Can you stop and start? Can you make a Y turn?
Snow here is well over the knees, and a friend has one of these machines. He offered to break trails for me. WILL IT WORK?
__________________
Larry

210 vacuum taps plus the neighbors
2X10 Intensofire clone
Smoky Lake pans that ROCK!
16X24 syrup shack
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:51 PM
vikinghb's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Varna Ontario
Number of Taps: 280
Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: 1
Posts: 226
Thanked 9 Times
  View my photos  
Default

I have industrial tires on the tractor, so it is not that great in the snow, or mud. Would chains make a big difference, or should I just get AG tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz5150 View Post
With 2 -3 feet of powder snow like we have now an atv without tracks will go fewer places than your 4 wheel drive tractor. Ground clearance and weight give the tractor an advantage. Once the snow crusts a lighter atv will somewhat float on top of the snow and a heavy tractor wont. I got a new tractor last year and man am i glad i did with close to two feet of ground clearance i have been everywhere i wanted to go so far while all of my atv's are setting in the garage collecting dust.
__________________
250 taps gravity & buckets
30" X 8' Lapierre Raised
14 X 30 sugar shack includes a bunkie(my doghouse)
Kioti 30hp sap hauler
2 mastiffs who love squirrels
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 

The total tap count of our members is now: 2,753,283

Copyright ©2009~2019 Sugarbush Info