Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 10,500
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  
Default 2008 Toyota Tundra - 325 Gallon Tank

Is this a bad idea? I'm pretty sure my Tundra is a half-ton truck. I have a trailer, but I don't want to haul it around. Maneuverability stinks with a trailer. Anyone else breaking Tundra leaf springs?
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

I would be more concerned about the wheel bearings and stopping than i would the leaf springs. You need to have the tank all the way to the front of the box so you can get some of the weight on the front axle. The other thing you need is good tie downs ( no atv tie downs real tie downs ) and good tie down hooks in the box so in case thinks go bad the tank stays in the box. I would give it a try... Keep it under a 100 and between the green.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Producer

Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

So.....have you done this? I have the heavy semi-truck straps. Trying it is one thing, hearing that some one has done this is another thing.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Dealer

Number of Taps: 400
Classified Ads: 5
Photos: 48
Thanked 399 Times

No i have not. I do own a landscape yard though and i have loaded and ( my customer's request ) over loaded a lot of pickups over the last 15 years. The Tundras do cary heavy loads well and all brands carry loads well if the majority of the weight is forward of the rear axle. The other thing is what the DOT will say when they spot your truck over its GVW... just a thought.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Producer

Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

Good point on GVW. I wonder what that is. I'm guessing the trailer would be safer.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

I've got a 02 tundra limited and I use a cage tote. Keeps the weight a little farther forward. 240 gallons is my comfortable limit since I haul 15 miles one way.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times

But I have been known on occasion to go overboard. This was 540 gallons last year. 30mph was my top speed down the state hwy. the trooper that pulled me over gave me a weird look when I said im a maple farmer, then said be very careful and please use the back roads.

Last edited by jmayerl; March 15th, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

If you fill that 325 full your looking at 2600 lbs on a 1/2 ton. Not something I would try myself no matter what the brand it.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Producer

Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

I agree with you. I'm leary. Amazing that we can get 1200 lbs in our Kawasaki Mules, no problem. I am so impressed with our Mule that we bought another one. You would think a full size truck would be able to handle triple what our little UTV handles, right? I guess we need a full size 1 ton pickup for our needs. No question.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 50
Thanked 5 Times

I am guilty of having overloaded my half ton truck many times over the years while hauling firewood and lumber. After nearly getting pushed into oncoming traffic on an inside corner due to the weight of the load behind me I decided that was enough of that business and upgraded to a used 3/4 ton. I got away with being overloaded for years without problems, but that one moment could have been the end if I hadn't been lucky. Driving an overloaded truck is fine until it isn't and then the consequences can be severe. My personal recommendation would be to not purposefully overload and 325 gallons in a half ton is definitely overloaded. Remember that as careful as you are there's always the other driver who has no clue how overloaded you are or the motorcyclist that rides 15 feet behind your overloaded truck and trailer without any thought as to their longevity. Just not worth it in my opinion.