Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:42 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 682 Times

The safest course of action would be to simply wait a few days until it gets warm enough for the sap to actually run. If they do, start boiling. If they don't, your season is probably over. A little patience will give you the answer.

Given the nighttime temps in the low-mid 20s and daytime temps barely reaching the upper 30s (briefly), any sap flow would be slow to start and short in duration. A tree that starts out solidly frozen at 24 deg F will take an awful long time to thaw to the point it will run very much....especially if your tapholes happen to be on the north side of the tree.

We had a slight trickle of sap starting in late afternoon yesterday, but it never got warm enough to really run very well.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old April 20th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Producer

Thanked 3 Times

Hello all. So it's hard to believe , inthink, that people are still boiling in the mid of April. I myself am but is definitely slowing down. I just have a few more gallons to make my goal(100). Thus might be a stupid question but this afternoon i had my vac hooked up and was not getting much sap. So just for giggles I drilled a hole in a maple in the yard. That friggin thing was dripping to beat the drive. Is it uncommon for any one to re drill some of there tap holes? I would only get a few more days but was just curious.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Old April 21st, 2018, 09:37 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 682 Times

A fresh taphole will certainly run better, however a second hole will double the amount of wounded volume inside the tree. So unless it was a 2-tap tree that you only put 1-tap into initially, this is not a good sustainable practice.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu