Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old July 14th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
Thanked 0 Times

Default transfer pump

We need a pump to transfer sap from our collection tank out to our cook shack - a distance of about 650 feet. Our idea is to pump it up about half that distance and let it gravity-feed the rest of the way so we need a pump capable of pumping from ground level to a point about ten feet high and 300 feet distant. We've been told a simple trash pump won't do it so need to find a pump with the needed capability. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you.
Kirk Ort
Stratford, WI
Old July 14th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 39 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

A trash or water transfer pump should suffice. A 1" Honda transfer pump can push a column of water 121 feet high. At zero TDH it can move 32 GPM. The 10 feet of lift and 600ft+ of pumping distance will reduce the flow rate so you'll need to check the pump curves to see the flow you'll get out the other end.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/pumps/models/wx10
Old July 14th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default PUMP

Thank you for your response. My son-in-law and I have set up a small vacuum system and thought we could pump the sap out by going straight up about 20 feet with a trash pump and then letting gravity take over. This proved easier said than done so now we're thinking about the method I described. We have a 1-1/4" line in place and I wonder if the wx15 1-1/2" might be the way to go. Thanks again.

Kirk
Old July 14th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 4600
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 9
Thanked 39 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sisters View Post
Thank you for your response. My son-in-law and I have set up a small vacuum system and thought we could pump the sap out by going straight up about 20 feet with a trash pump and then letting gravity take over. This proved easier said than done so now we're thinking about the method I described. We have a 1-1/4" line in place and I wonder if the wx15 1-1/2" might be the way to go. Thanks again.

Kirk
Is the building heated with power? If so, an electric releaser is the way to go.

When it was super wet last spring we couldn't gather one of our tanks because the tractor and wagon was getting bogged down coming up the hill. We set up a 1.25" line about 300 feet long on the ground from the pump house to the top of the hill - maybe a 30 foot rise. Our wx20 pump is reduced down to 1.25" (don't ask why - Dad did it that way) and had no problems pumping 350 gallons to the top in probably 10 minutes.
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Default pump

Sounds like that's the pump for us. Thanks again.

Kirk
Old February 20th, 2019, 11:25 PM
Spammer!

Number of Taps: 0350

I just purchased a wx15. Twice the volume as the wx10. I went from. 100 taps on 5/16 last spring to 350 for this spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk