Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 45
Thanked 2 Times

Default Frozen sap and sugar concentration

I read that if sap freezes, you can remove the chunks of ice and the remaining sap will have a higher concentration of sugar therby reducing the boiling time.
My question is if you through out this ice are you also loosing a significant amount of syrup in the end?
Since I'm only tapping 20 trees, I freeze the syrup in a chest freezer in 5 gallon buckets and when I've got 6 to 8 buckets collected over a week (about 30-40 gallons) I then boil the sap to make about 3 to 4 litres of syrup. Two days before I boil I will thaw the sap and when its almost time to boil I have some ice left in the buckets. So if I throw out this ice I will have a more concentrated sap. But by throwing out the ice will this lead to a significant loss of syrup in the end? I might have about the equivalent of 1/4 of the volume in each buckets as chunks of ice.

Thanks,

Rob S.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 250
Thanked 4 Times

I did this with ice in my 250 gal. bulk tank, so it may not apply to sap in buckets or bags: took ice and sap from same batch, melted the ice and put both on refractometer. Sap was 2.4% and the melted ice was 0.6%.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 45
Thanked 2 Times

Thanks,

0.6 Percent is still significant. So looks like the syrup loss would be important in the long run. Better to boil the whole thing including ice.

Rob S.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob S For This Post:
supersapper (March 16th, 2014)
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:37 AM
2012 Best Fund-Raiser
Producer

Number of Taps: 950
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 449 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I love this subject because it will never be settled. Keep the info coming. I was tasting the icicles that come off of broken branches and they were nice and tasty/sweet. I wondered if using the sugar doesn't freeze in the sap until the very end....IF sap was running out of a broken branch would the pure water void of sugar freeze into the icicle and only the concentrated sugar sap would drip at high concentrations?? Remember Popsicles are frozen sugar
Check out the operation http://youtu.be/4iwFPSbbcNc Buying bulk sap in Door County 303-810-5501
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 150
Thanked 18 Times

Freeze concentration separates the water and sugar, but not perfectly. If only a small percentage of a sap in a container is frozen, it will have a very small amount of sugar in it. If it freezes solid, of course all the sugar remains, but it is unevenly distributed in the solid frozen sap, with highest concentrating in the center, where it froze last. When I had a very slow batch pan, I absolutely took advantage of this. There was no way I would stand over a 10 gph rig for 14 hours to get a gallon of syrup out of that .6% sap! Any advantage I could get to save time and wood was a bonus!

Look up freeze concentration online. Here is one of many sites explaining it:

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/pages/pu...licationId=416
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 250
Journals: 4
Photos: 5
Thanked 0 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I had the opportunity to test this sap/ice sugar content the other day. I had some 5 gallon buckets with "slushy" sap in them. I poured all of the liquid from a couple of these buckets into a seperate bucket. I allowed one of the slushy buckets to thaw intact. I combined the ice from some of the buckets into another bucket. After all the ice was melted I measured each with a sap hydrometer. The bucket that contained the liquid poured off of the slush was at 6%, the bucket that contained the thawed combination of ice and sap was at 3%, the bucket of thawed ice was 1.2%. So for my money, at least when slushy conditions exist, the ice is still worth processing. It sure is fun to test these kind of things
2012 250 taps 200 bags, 50 gravity
Where will it end?
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 109 Times

A friend who only taps a few trees and boils it on his wood stove did an experiment and just called me with his results. He kept several buckets of sap, put it in his freezer and found that if he let it freeze untill there wass just a liquid core left he could get his 2% sap up to 5.5%. He lost 70% of the volume so instead of 43 to 1 he is around 15 to 1. He also lost 50% of the sugar. He only wants to make a couple gallons on his wood stove, so this sugar loss doesn't matter like it would to others. Like usual it depends what you're trying to accomplish, no rule works for everyone.

The experiment has had positive effects on me too. I told him he could keep my hydrometer, that way my wife will have to buy me that better one I've been wanting.
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 109 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Remember Popsicles are frozen sugar
Years ago I read the ingredients on the popcycle and I believe they have antifreeze in them to keep them from being too hard and other chilaters to keep the sugar from separating. Here kids, I got you a treat.. mmmmm glycol.

I can't believe what we are eating.