Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  
Default Hot rinse for RO

At Verona my wife attended a class where a warm permeate rinse was recommended for the RO. How would I do this? I currently rinse using 600 gallons of permeate. I certainly could not heat that amount. Do I just use the wash tank and set the RO to wash and let it keep recirculating the clear permeate much as it would a wash cycle? How warm is warm? I know the RO shuts down above about 110 degrees F.
Thanks for any input
Doug
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 780
Photos: 2
Thanked 2 Times
  View my photos  

I was at a seminar at the CDL open house last spring and was told basically the same thing. The way that I would do it is use your wash tank. He also said to rinse the RO with as much permeate as possible before doing the soap wash. He said that the permeate will absorb the minerals that were filtered out of it making the soap wash more effective. He said that you only need to save enough permeate to rinse out the soap after the wash and to use the rest before the wash.

Algier 2x6 Raised Flue Evaporator
Lapierre 150 RO machine
Surge SP-22 Vacuum Pump
1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug Tractor

3 Stihl Chainsaws
2 Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws
1 Jonsered Chainsaw
1 "Wild Thing"
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 2 Times

Aren't you guys doing this already? 802 Maple has been promoting this for 10 yrs or better. This not new info that someone started putting out at schools this year. I, myself have been doing hot water rinses for the better part of 10 yrs now. I rinse every other day, and wash with soap on the others.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 3000
Photos: 2
Thanked 0 Times
  View my photos  

We do a short rinse from the permiate tank and then a closed long rinse with the wash tank at the end of each day.

The long rinse will heat itself up for 6 to 8 hours and the unit auto shuts off at a specific temp. 100F to 115F.

I think its the process of passing through the RO itself that slowly heats the closed loop through the wash tank? I don't see any internal heating element on the RO?

They sell a heating element for the wash tank but we only do the soap wash at the end of the season of if the membrains performance drops too far.

We can heat up permiate and dump it into the wash tank without the element for the soap wash.

Check the specs on your elements though, some membrains don't take heat or some chemicals well, I think?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1275
Thanked 3 Times

I was at Bascom's seminar Nov. 19th. that Brad Gillian gave and an interesting point that he gave about washing a membrane was to check the ph of your wash solution about 10 minutes into the wash to make sure the ph is where it should be. This is because the nutrients in the membrane will deplete the ph, so you may have to add more soap to bring the ph back to what it should be to finish the wash.
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBean For This Post:
sweeter creations (April 15th, 2013)