Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1200
Thanked 2 Times

Default Xle-4040 help

So I got the new membranes and I am having a hard time figuring out a plug for the bottom of it. I took the grey ones out of my olf NF-270s and the plug is conical on the end, inserts into the center of the membrane. Problen is the new XLE has a star pattern to the post that the plug fits into. Anyone run into this problem? Joe at Atalantic is telling me use a pvc end cap but I can't find anything to fit.
Lapierre 250 Turbo
Too many tanks to clean

Don't underestimate the power of the bucket!
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM
CDL technical department
Consumer

Thanked 9 Times

For your new membranes, you will need an external plug insted of your internal plug. The new 4'' Filmtec membranes (Mark E4, NF 90-4040, XLE-4040) have the same new permeate output pattern. Just be sure that the plug fit depend of your RO brand.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Thanked 7 Times

have any pics of the problem
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1200
Thanked 2 Times

Alright here is the update..

So everyone is on same page, I have a Lapierre turbo model with 4 inch membranes. Ordered XLE-4040s from Joe at Atlantic RO to replace my nf270s.

Got XLEs in and notice that the stinger on each end of the membrane has a hexagon pattern instead of a circular outlet. Look at old nf270s and of course the grey plug is circular. Call joe he says everyone uses a cap instead of a plug (would of been nice to know that when ordered, but OK) Says just go to hardware store and get a cap. Try PVC, cPVC, conduit even copper nothing fits. Call Joe back, he is sending caps. Great

Also call Goodriches, Bascoms which had not heard of this problem before and Lapierre told me the "plugs should come from the place you bought them from"

In meantime I have 3 other sugarmakers PM me that the caps (sent by Joe) will not work and theirs have fallen off only to get stuck in tower. Only option is to drill out the 'hex' and make it circular to insert your old plugs. Thats what I did after and machine is finally up and running. Also found out that the o-ring on the membrane needs to be turned around for lapierre machines.

My take is two fold 1.) thankgoodness for these maple sites and 802maple who walked me through a few steps 2.) Joe's prices are good and he may have 30 years RO experience but its not in a maple application and even though he asks your machines mfr he was able to give no advice when I called back
Lapierre 250 Turbo
Too many tanks to clean

Don't underestimate the power of the bucket!
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Thanked 0 Times

Anyone have information on how to adapt the new membranes to the Lapierre Turbo? I did the same as Maplewalnut last season, but my XLE passed sugar...not sure if it was the modification process or something else. I'm ordering new membranes for this season (probably the new E4's) and I want to make sure I get them with the proper adapters, so I don't need to modify them. These will be ordered from a maple equipment company, so they'll be fiberglass wrapped, and not tape wrapped.

I have the cut sheet from Dow (attached), which shows a nipple on the inlet end, but not the outlet end.

I too found your standard 1/2" or 3/4" plumbing caps do not fit over the nipples to seal the bottom...one's too small and one's too big. I tried using an o-ring, but the o-ring kept getting pinched/rolled while sliding the cap on. The top of my membrane housing needs a nipple to slide over for the permeate flow....the E4 doesn't have one, so some type of adapter will be needed. What have others found?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
For your new membranes, you will need an external plug insted of your internal plug. The new 4'' Filmtec membranes (Mark E4, NF 90-4040, XLE-4040) have the same new permeate output pattern. Just be sure that the plug fit depend of your RO brand.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mark E4 Brochure.pdf (41.7 KB, 19 views)