Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Default Deer run 250

What's the highest sugar content anyone has reached with this unit? Just wondering if I had this recirculating back into the tank how high can it safely go.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

My first year I had mine, I left it on recirculation while doing other work. I started with 2.1% sugar and just based on volume calculations I got 17-18% before it plugged up. I had to do a few minute cold permeate rinse before it would then work. I did not have a hydrometer that could test that high.
Since I have run mine, up to a max of 13-14% several times without issue. Ray says he runs to 15% max.
I can not however get any better than 8% from 2% sap in one pass with any decent flows. I do, if I have other things I'm doing, run with just 1 gpm concentrate and 1.8 GPM permeate and the rest is flowing back thru the recirculate valve. Doing that also requires I adjust the recirculation valve often or it hits high pressure and shuts off. I can then get 10% in 1 pass if starting with 2%. However I can only do that if I am not boiling yet, because my evaporation rate is faster than 1 gpm unless I slow down too much.
www.cnymaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Maple Flats For This Post:
Radnagel (April 4th, 2017)
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 701
Thanked 110 Times

Thanks Maple Flats I am just trying to compare models. If I am understanding this right some of the hobby RO's will generally only get to 8% after the 2nd pass. And that they are not rated to go higher than 8%. That is if I am understanding all of this correctly. If I am to get any kind of decent sleep next year I am thinking that I will need something that I can start recirculating into the tank outside for an hour or two and then bring it into the head tank higher than 10%.
All taps on drop tubes into buckets.
Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher/Filter.
Smoky Lake Crescendo Auto Draw.
Brother-in-law for a partner in crime.
Wife and 4 kids.
Old April 4th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 300
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Thanked 87 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I have a springtech microelite machine. It has two 4x40" membranes. I will get 8% in pass if the raw sap is 2%. The last boil the raw sap was low at 1.3 or so and only got 5.5% in one pass but I was happy with that still beats the heck out of boiling sap at 1.3%! This was my first year with the ro and I love it. Saves allot of time and wood.
Sap puller
12x20 grim filter canner.
2017 equipment purchased: short bank Wes fab filter press and spring tech micro elite two post ro!
Plenty of hardwood split! May take 2017 off this year...
The Following User Says Thank You to adk1 For This Post:
Radnagel (April 5th, 2017)
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member
Researcher

Classified Ads: 1
Photos: 2
Thanked 99 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnagel View Post
Thanks Maple Flats I am just trying to compare models. If I am understanding this right some of the hobby RO's will generally only get to 8% after the 2nd pass. And that they are not rated to go higher than 8%. That is if I am understanding all of this correctly. If I am to get any kind of decent sleep next year I am thinking that I will need something that I can start recirculating into the tank outside for an hour or two and then bring it into the head tank higher than 10%.
I have had a deer run 250 for 3 years now. I have used it in multiple different ways. The most inefficient is to squeeze it down to a high concentrate in one pass. The best way is to recirculate in a tank and send it up when the tank is at 4-5%. I have a 600 gallon tank and get flows of 2.5-3 gpm of per and con when recirculating
The Following User Says Thank You to jmayerl For This Post:
Radnagel (April 5th, 2017)
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

I suspect the various ratings on RO's are directly related to the max. pressures of the RO. The greater the pressure it can handle the higher it can concentrate in one pass. A Deer Run 1 or 2 post 4x40 RO is designed to shut off on high pressure at 300 PSI. While I can take 2% sap to 8% in one pass, I can't take 1.5% to 8 in one pass, mine will not remove more than 3 parts water to 1 part concentrate in one pass and to do that I need to leave the recirculate needle valve closed. That said, I can open the recirculate valve and get a higher % output in the concentrate tank, but in the process I lose decent flow rates. The loss is the GPM that is going back thru the high pressure pump again. As such I can get 8% from even 1.2% but my flows are anything but impressive in the process. It may be something in the range of .8 gpm concentrate and maybe 1.8 gpm permeate, the rest is going thru the HP pump again.
More expensive RO's can get better, it all depends on what you need and what you are willing to spend to get there.
When I bought my RO in Sept. 2011 I paid $3200 and I think it was money well spent. However a $15,000 RO will do better for sure. That is the price a similar sized RO from Leader was quoted me at that time.
If you buy an RO with a top pressure much lower than 300 PSI you can still concentrate but not as fast and likely not to as high a concentration because it takes pressure to push water thru the membrane and if the pressure is not high enough it can't do the job.
www.cnymaple.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maple Flats For This Helpful Post:
minehart gap (May 27th, 2018), Radnagel (April 5th, 2017)