Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 90
Thanked 0 Times

Default membrane question

i have been doing alot of reading and have a few questions that i cant seem to find. I have a 4x40 membrane (new) from mes how many gallons should i run through it to rinse the membrane for the first time? and after i run sap through how much permeate do i run through to rinse? (Do i just rinse till the sugar is out of the membrane). Last question when i do a soap wash how many gallons do i use for a wash and how much soap i have ultrasil 10
thanks for the help
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Your rinse should be the no less than your hourly flow rate. If it is a 100gph membrane... rinse with at least 100 gal.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:32 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 236
Thanked 17 Times
  View my photos  

Soap wash when your flow drops ......
I know some wash everytime they use it ......
I mix up 4 gallons of wash ... let it recirculate back into the bucket until it's mostly gone ......
A Daryl's filter press
Home design canner (water jacket)
288 taps (231 on line .... 57 buckets)
2017 Silverado pick-up w / 275 gallon tank
8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
A wife, family and friends that love to help!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 850
Thanked 175 Times

I run a cold rinse with permeate for 5 minutes, into the head tank. Then I run 10 minutes on hot permeate rinse minimum , run concentrate and permeate back into wash tank. (hot is 105-110F and I reheat the permeate flow as necessary to remain at that temp, thru a tankless heater). Then I run a cold permeate rinse 5 min. minimum, concentrate to drain, but most often it goes 10-15 minutes. I run that sequence every time I run the RO. Most years I only need a soap wash after the season.
I had my membranes after using this method for 4 seasons and the report came back 0 sugar passage and 100% efficient so it must work.
www.cnymaple.com
Old March 3rd, 2017, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Photos: 8
Thanked 8 Times
  View my photos  

The guys at MES also recommended the warm water rinse on my Dolly unit. I have hot water coming off a preheater, can a person dilute that out in some cold permeate to get warm wash water? The Dolly shuts down at 113 degrees so guessing warm water rinse should be done with about 100 degree water?
MES 300 Dolly RO
Leader clear filter press
Old March 10th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 500
  View my photos  
Default I do the same with Preheat water

I do the same, I run a hose from my preheater to an insulated SS milk sink which I have plumbed in. I have a home built.. kinda... RO unit with MES membranes in it. The water coming off my preheater is 150, I run that straight into the wash tank and when its time to rinse my membranes I start the RO up. Now before everyone jumps on me for having the water too hot, its very short lived and once the cold rince permeate gets pushed into the SS milk sink, it quickly cools to the desired temp of 105-115, maybe not perfect but it works for me. OH, remember to replace the filter after your concentrate session is over and before you rinse with permeate. I reuse the rinse pre filter but use new filters every time I concentrate