Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
  #1  
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Member
Producer


 
Location: Bangor, NY
Number of Taps: 1000
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Thanked 0 Times
 
Default still contemplating and RO

Looking to add a 300gal RO to our operation - anyone with any good/bad input? Price AND service being a factor.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Member
Producer


 
Location: Greenwic NY
Number of Taps: 3500
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Thanked 7 Times
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE735 View Post
Looking to add a 300gal RO to our operation - anyone with any good/bad input? Price AND service being a factor.
I'v heard good things about Ray Gingrich in Ohio. I was going to buy a R.O. from him but went with a larger high concentrate machine. I know his price was 3k for a 250 gph.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Banned
Producer


 
Location: Parker Colorado/Jacksonport wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Posts: 7,188
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

I'm a 950 tap operation and pulled the trigger on a 600gph CDL. I use oil so I will save big time on the oil cost. I did need to upgrade power to the shack. BUT I will have more time to find more taps improve the woods and relax a little more around the shack. I believe its what I need to go to the next level. whithout going with a bigger evap or a steamaway its the only equipment I could think of.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Member
Producer
 
Location: New Hartford, New York, U.S.A.
Number of Taps: 250
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Thanked 16 Times
 
Default

I can't comment on what 300gal. machine you should get- I'm not familiar with them at that size. I just wanted to say don't contemplate getting one, just get one! I bought a smaller, used Airablo RO last January after much thought, and I'm thankfull I did at this point. I thought about one for years but talked myself out of the move several times. Looking back, I was a fool for putting it off. Sugaring is a lot more fun now, with less boiling time and huge fuel savings.

And Haynes is right when he mentions "going to the next level". An RO allows you to expand in the future. Even if your not thinking of expanding- would you like to have shorter boils and burn less fuel with the taps you have? Thats was what pushed me into one.

Steve
__________________
Son & Father operation
2.5'x10' woodfired, raised flue evaporator
24'x40' sugarhouse
Homemade arch, hood & pre-heater. Welded Lapierre pans.
Airablo R.O. machine in the basement
Assortment of bulk tanks
Ford F-350 4x4 sap hauler
And strange looks from some neighbors...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Member
Producer


 
Location: Greenwic NY
Number of Taps: 3500
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Thanked 7 Times
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
I'm a 950 tap operation and pulled the trigger on a 600gph CDL. I use oil so I will save big time on the oil cost. I did need to upgrade power to the shack. BUT I will have more time to find more taps improve the woods and relax a little more around the shack. I believe its what I need to go to the next level. whithout going with a bigger evap or a steamaway its the only equipment I could think of.
I bet you are as excited as I am to run and boil with a new R.O. What % are you planning to got to with your sap?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Banned
Producer


 
Location: Parker Colorado/Jacksonport wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Posts: 7,188
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

I have no idea. I will be happy to go from 2% to 8 or 10 It will be a learning experience to not be running the evap all day long and burning tons of oil. I will have to take it slow. I don't understand how you concentrate past what the unit does on the first pass. Do you concentrate and store and keep recirculating?????
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Kevin Sargent's Avatar
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher


 
Location: Newport, NH
Number of Taps: 2
Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: 18
Posts: 1,273
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  
Default

First pass you can get above 20+%/ Been there and done that at royalmaples on 1.2% sap one time when i went to rescue the pirate when the ship was sinking. I have a lapierre 600 W/Mark 1 membrane. About 1/2 GPM of concentrate leaving the vessel.

What you will due is set the flow rate of the OUTPUT to the concentrate side through your concentrate flowmeter= Usually about 2 1/2 GPM leaving the vessel will get you from 2-8%. And the lower you go choking it down the higher the concentrate will be. 1 1/2 GPM might be in the 15% range or higher?

Usually though you just leave the concentrate flow at say 2 1/2 GPM and send that to a tank. After the ro shuts off from low sap? you can start drawing sap from that tank and then the concentrated sap will go from 8-15% once you send that through the ro again. Due it again and you'll be over 20% and probably LIKING IT?. You will then be using about 1/2 gal of fuel oil to make a gallon of syrup that way. BUT things will happen 10X faster too.

Lets say you would normally be making 4 gph with your straight 2% sap you will now make 40 Gals of syrup per hour with your 20%+ sap. Did i say have your filter press all made up before you hit the burner switch?
__________________
Is this thing working or what?
World's Sweetest Maple Tree - YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Member
Producer


 
Location: Greenwic NY
Number of Taps: 3500
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Thanked 7 Times
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sargent View Post
First pass you can get above 20+%/ Been there and done that at royalmaples on 1.2% sap one time when i went to rescue the pirate when the ship was sinking. I have a lapierre 600 W/Mark 1 membrane. About 1/2 GPM of concentrate leaving the vessel.

What you will due is set the flow rate of the OUTPUT to the concentrate side through your concentrate flowmeter= Usually about 2 1/2 GPM leaving the vessel will get you from 2-8%. And the lower you go choking it down the higher the concentrate will be. 1 1/2 GPM might be in the 15% range or higher?

Usually though you just leave the concentrate flow at say 2 1/2 GPM and send that to a tank. After the ro shuts off from low sap? you can start drawing sap from that tank and then the concentrated sap will go from 8-15% once you send that through the ro again. Due it again and you'll be over 20% and probably LIKING IT?. You will then be using about 1/2 gal of fuel oil to make a gallon of syrup that way. BUT things will happen 10X faster too.

Lets say you would normally be making 4 gph with your straight 2% sap you will now make 40 Gals of syrup per hour with your 20%+ sap. Did i say have your filter press all made up before you hit the burner switch?
I'm planning to go to around 9 to 10 %. I have first hand found that very high concentrate syrup lacks flavor. Know offence to anybody everyone is different. But with a large retail market I want a nice maple flavor not just light light syrup. However if I get flooded I will crank it to whatever I can and and sell those batches in bulk. Of course everything is subject to change.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenwich Maple Man For This Post:
mapleack (January 31st, 2012)
  #9  
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:44 AM
adk1's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Northville NY
Number of Taps: 300
Join Date: Dec 2011
Journals: 43
Photos: 75
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 87 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sargent View Post
First pass you can get above 20+%/ Been there and done that at royalmaples on 1.2% sap one time when i went to rescue the pirate when the ship was sinking. I have a lapierre 600 W/Mark 1 membrane. About 1/2 GPM of concentrate leaving the vessel.

What you will due is set the flow rate of the OUTPUT to the concentrate side through your concentrate flowmeter= Usually about 2 1/2 GPM leaving the vessel will get you from 2-8%. And the lower you go choking it down the higher the concentrate will be. 1 1/2 GPM might be in the 15% range or higher?

Usually though you just leave the concentrate flow at say 2 1/2 GPM and send that to a tank. After the ro shuts off from low sap? you can start drawing sap from that tank and then the concentrated sap will go from 8-15% once you send that through the ro again. Due it again and you'll be over 20% and probably LIKING IT?. You will then be using about 1/2 gal of fuel oil to make a gallon of syrup that way. BUT things will happen 10X faster too.

Lets say you would normally be making 4 gph with your straight 2% sap you will now make 40 Gals of syrup per hour with your 20%+ sap. Did i say have your filter press all made up before you hit the burner switch?
wow, that is unbelieveable!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
Producer


 
Location: Parker Colorado/Jacksonport wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Posts: 7,188
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

Thanks Kevin. The CDL Manuel is lacking in some detail Its the little bits of the equation that ties it all together. I'm in it to sell wholesale for the bulk of my production. I can work out making the dark stuff when the season is winding down.
I can see a row of Daryl's filter presses lined up like V8's on a pulling tractor
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 

The total tap count of our members is now: 2,753,283

Copyright ©2009~2019 Sugarbush Info