Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 125
Thanked 0 Times

Default Brand spanking new homemade RO

Howdy, I did not want to hijack the previous thread. We finished building our RO last night and now wonder about its maiden flight. Seems like it should be cleaned by running it for awhile. I have well water that is high in minerals.
Would we be better off waiting until we get enough sap collected (Saturday or Sunday) to run or find a source of soft water? Wish we had some permeate.
Once I know that the RO runs correctly, I will try to post some pictures. Thanks, Jim
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Find someone with a soft water system. Do you know a dairy farmer with a good system you can get it from. How big is the unit and how many gallons do you want?
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 125
Thanked 0 Times

It is a NF3 4"x 40" membrane with a 265 GPH Procon pump, 1 hp motor with a 3/4 hp shallow well feed pump. Guessing 60-80 GPH.
Just found out my buddy ran his soft well water thru his new Ray's 250 GPH RO and then ran sap the same day. Does that seem like a good way to go?
Thank you, Jim

Last edited by Dieseldog; February 18th, 2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Yup I rinse with soft water and go right to concentrate. I let the first concentrate run on the floor and check it to see when the concentrate actually starts coming out the line.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 180
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 18 Times
  View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldog View Post
It is a NF3 4"x 40" membrane with a 265 GPH Procon pump, 1 hp motor with a 3/4 hp shallow well feed pump. Guessing 60-80 GPH.
Just found out my buddy ran his soft well water thru his new Ray's 250 GPH RO and then ran sap the same day. Does that seem like a good way to go?
Thank you, Jim
Not sure it will matter with your membrane, but I did read in a CDL instruction manual that you are supposed to let the membrane soak for 24 hours before applying pressure. I saturated mine with distilled water before I concentrated sap, and I did this well in advance of concentrating sap. You are supposed to keep the membrane wet for its life too.
20'x20' Garage converted to sugar house
120 taps for 2016
https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaple
Ask me how I am paying off my mortgage in less than 7 years and how you can too. PM me.