Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
  #1  
Old January 9th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Urban Sugarmaker's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Rochester, NY
Number of Taps: 180
Join Date: Oct 2014
Classified Ads: 1
Posts: 117
Thanked 18 Times
  View my ads  
Default Recirculation Loop

At Verona 2016 today I was looking at a small RO plumbed the same way as mine except it had a recirculation loop from the concentrate side back into the high pressure line. But, no pump to help it. I would like to add this feature to mine and wanted to know if anyone else was doing this without an extra pump. I believe it works because this machine is on the market, but I wonder how well it works because you have lower pressure concentrate flow trying to tee into a higher pressure feed.
__________________
WF Mason 2x4 XL w/ AUF/AOF
Home-built auto draw off
Home-built single XLE-4040 RO w/ PLC control
20'x20' Garage converted to sugar house
120 taps for 2016
https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaple
Ask me how I am paying off my mortgage in less than 7 years and how you can too. PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Member
Producer
 
Location: Barnet, VT
Number of Taps: 2100
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 892
Thanked 131 Times
 
Default

My 1986 Memtek was like that. The line coming off the membranes fed in before the high pressure pump. Your high pressure pump would have to have really good flow rates to keep from fouling your membranes. This pump would do 16 gpm at 500 psi.
__________________
William Warden
3 X 12 Thor pans on homemade arch
1986 Seprotech 900
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Urban Sugarmaker's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Rochester, NY
Number of Taps: 180
Join Date: Oct 2014
Classified Ads: 1
Posts: 117
Thanked 18 Times
  View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiam View Post
My 1986 Memtek was like that. The line coming off the membranes fed in before the high pressure pump. Your high pressure pump would have to have really good flow rates to keep from fouling your membranes. This pump would do 16 gpm at 500 psi.
I have a Series 5 Procon and I have a shallow well pump to feed it. I am just going to run the line from the concentrate side back to the low pressure side of the procon and use a needle valve to control it.
__________________
WF Mason 2x4 XL w/ AUF/AOF
Home-built auto draw off
Home-built single XLE-4040 RO w/ PLC control
20'x20' Garage converted to sugar house
120 taps for 2016
https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaple
Ask me how I am paying off my mortgage in less than 7 years and how you can too. PM me.

Last edited by Urban Sugarmaker; January 9th, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Member
Producer
 
Location: western ny
Number of Taps: 250
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 43
Thanked 8 Times
 
Default

Urban,
I'm on about the same path currently. See Dave's comments and link in this post about an in-line shut off valve. I have both the needle valve and a shut off. I'm still on the fence about adding a check valve in-line too.

Single XLE 4040 Build - Page 3
__________________
Marty
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Urban Sugarmaker's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Rochester, NY
Number of Taps: 180
Join Date: Oct 2014
Classified Ads: 1
Posts: 117
Thanked 18 Times
  View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeh1 View Post
Urban,
I'm on about the same path currently. See Dave's comments and link in this post about an in-line shut off valve. I have both the needle valve and a shut off. I'm still on the fence about adding a check valve in-line too.

Single XLE 4040 Build - Page 3
Thanks. I happened to find this exact post last night. I will be adding this feature.
__________________
WF Mason 2x4 XL w/ AUF/AOF
Home-built auto draw off
Home-built single XLE-4040 RO w/ PLC control
20'x20' Garage converted to sugar house
120 taps for 2016
https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaple
Ask me how I am paying off my mortgage in less than 7 years and how you can too. PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:00 PM
sapaholic's Avatar
Contributing Member
Producer
 
Location: Potter County, Pa
Number of Taps: 1300
Join Date: Dec 2011
Photos: 1
Posts: 468
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiam View Post
My 1986 Memtek was like that. The line coming off the membranes fed in before the high pressure pump. Your high pressure pump would have to have really good flow rates to keep from fouling your membranes. This pump would do 16 gpm at 500 psi.
Was this line for controlling the pressure in the membrane housing?
__________________
2x6 grimm raised flue
4x40 R/O
new 18x24 sugarhouse
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Banned
Producer


 
Location: Parker Colorado/Jacksonport wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2011
Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Posts: 7,188
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default

I wish I could un see that link
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Maple Flats's Avatar
Contributing Member
Producer
 
Location: Oneida, NY
Number of Taps: 850
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 657
Thanked 175 Times
 
Default

My Ray Gingerich RO has a bypass and it works well. It feeds from the concentrate back to the low pressure side (the inlet) to the high pressure pump and it is controlled by a needle valve. I see no reason to put a check valve because the high pressure pump is pulling sap into the pump and at the same time there is a slight pressure on the concentrate discharge pushing in the same flow direction.
__________________
1320 taps on vacuum, 2015, 700 in 2016, 750 for 2017,
up to 850 in 2018
2012 Mahindra tractor/cab/loader/AC
www.cnymaple.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:56 PM
wishlist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Producer
 
Location: Lennon, Michigan
Number of Taps: 900
Join Date: Feb 2012
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Posts: 1,707
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
My Ray Gingerich RO has a bypass and it works well. It feeds from the concentrate back to the low pressure side (the inlet) to the high pressure pump and it is controlled by a needle valve. I see no reason to put a check valve because the high pressure pump is pulling sap into the pump and at the same time there is a slight pressure on the concentrate discharge pushing in the same flow direction.
Is there a flow meter on the loop flats ? How do you know how much to open the needle valve , just by checking sugar and if so what % increase would you say your seeing with the recirculation?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Urban Sugarmaker's Avatar
Member
Producer
 
Location: Rochester, NY
Number of Taps: 180
Join Date: Oct 2014
Classified Ads: 1
Posts: 117
Thanked 18 Times
  View my ads  
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Flats View Post
My Ray Gingerich RO has a bypass and it works well. It feeds from the concentrate back to the low pressure side (the inlet) to the high pressure pump and it is controlled by a needle valve. I see no reason to put a check valve because the high pressure pump is pulling sap into the pump and at the same time there is a slight pressure on the concentrate discharge pushing in the same flow direction.
Exactly what you describe is what I intend to set up on mine.
__________________
WF Mason 2x4 XL w/ AUF/AOF
Home-built auto draw off
Home-built single XLE-4040 RO w/ PLC control
20'x20' Garage converted to sugar house
120 taps for 2016
https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaple
Ask me how I am paying off my mortgage in less than 7 years and how you can too. PM me.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 

The total tap count of our members is now: 2,753,283

Copyright ©2009~2019 Sugarbush Info