Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 0 Times

Default Steve Childs video on RO system question

Wondered if anybody has tried building the RO unit that Steve Child show in his option 3 video on you tube. Wonder what size of pressure pump he uses and if it indeed is a good model to try to build.
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 91
Thanked 12 Times

Default Steve Childs video

Steve brought this to Maple Camp this year at Cornell. I am not 100% positive, but I believe he was using the Procon vane pump on this. Single 4x40 membrane. Standard water pump for feed. I am not sure how many GPM he was running.

Nothing at all wrong with this system, however it is very bare bones - no real instrumentation or safety features (if the feed pump fails or you run out of sap, you will burn up the pressure pump in a jiffy). Also you need to manually prime your feed pump, and move hoses around - it is not fully plumbed for a permanent installation.

Steve's bare bones approach to this was what got me interested in building a RO - they are really pretty simple in concept. I think that you will find over time, you will want a little more permanent plumbed system with some more features. That said, you can always add to the system over time.

I have started a thread on my build which I will be doing over the next month. There may be some good tips and hints in there as I discover things

Regards
John
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnj For This Post:
ttowle3 (January 5th, 2016)