Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old December 29th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Sugarbush.Info Administrator
Manufacturer

Number of Taps: 2000
Journals: 9
Photos: 29
Thanked 961 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Super Concentrate

I have very mixed feelings about this, most I will keep to myself . I do wonder if in the near future I can charge a lot more money for what will be "Traditional" made syrup where you boil raw sap? There has to be some value in a product that is made the old fashion way in the near future I presume.
https://www.themaplenews.com/story/s...ercent-sap/22/
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default high concentrate

I have been making syrup from the same trees for a wile now and started boiling raw sap with wood . Then some years later I added an RO. I feel that my flavor stays pretty consistant year to year. I have alwayse made alot of light syrup and my real light has almost a "vanilla" flavor . If I concentrate to like 16-18 % that Vanilla flavor is gone and the syrup just taste sweet . I could also call it flat in flavor . So I do not concentrate that high and keep it down to the 8-10% range . For me this works well and the regular customers keep coming back . I tasted some super concentrate syrup on a couple of occasions and I do not think it is bad syrup ,I just do not think it will win alot of blue ribbons .I feel that syrup is alot like wine in that depending on where it comes from and who makes it will have alot to do with the flavor ,and we all know that not all wine is equal and just because its packaged in a fancy bottle dose not mean that its the best .So to answer your question I do believe that you should target the purist market with the non ro syrup and charge whatever the market will bear. -just my 2 cents -foamy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foamy For This Helpful Post:
jimsudz (December 29th, 2015), Robert K (January 2nd, 2016), xyz5150 (December 29th, 2015)
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I can see the label now. "Not made from CONCENTRATE that should get everyone really confused.

Then the filter purists will come out with medium pulp.......................
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Helpful Post:
DrTimPerkins (December 30th, 2015), Nick (December 30th, 2015), Robert K (January 2nd, 2016), Schiefe4 (January 3rd, 2016)