Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I can understand a test run. But the scariest thing about a the real deal is wondering if you did the valves the wrong way and are dumping sugar down the drain. All my permeate goes into the tanks so I do have a safety factor.

Doing a test run is a good way to get to know the settings and what it should sound like or if it has leaks But that takes more than a few gallons to get the real feel.
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

If you are going for a test run, do it at the same time you are flushing the membrane for season. Once the membrane is wet, it needs to stay wet till you buy a new one. Leaving what ever is in your water sit on the membrane surface for a couple months is only going to degrade performance later on.

Trying to use water to set it up is only good for leaks and knowing where water is going. Pressures and flow rates will be different with sap.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sapaholic For This Helpful Post:
Haynes Forest Products (November 29th, 2015), sugarbush ridge (November 29th, 2015)
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

When I started my RO for the first time was like getting out of bed in the hospital with a new knee. The big difference was I wasn't on pain killers and I was able to call my supplier 5 times without ridicule .
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Run it sugarbush. Use well water and make some permeate . Do a wash and rinse so your comfortable with how it works. Mix up some storage solution and your all set for sap season.

I have well water with a very high tds , over 4000 ppm. I have had a ro in the house since the early 90's . I can get over 10 years on the membrane. I ran over 100 gallons of well water thru my homemade ro when I built it. No problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate at all using well water as long as you do a good rinse and wash.