Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  
Default Cleaning Powders for Deer Run 125 RO

For those who have the 125, or 250, are you using the stuff Ray supplies for wash, acid, and membrane preservative? I'm out. We have a Lapierre dealer within driving distance, and a CDL store about an hour away. Or we could just order online if its shippable. This is bad, but I think the membrane is a dow filmtec nf270. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that! Thanks for your input. I called, his msg said he was up in Vermont.
take care, Mark
Poly tanks, cage tank, small trailer, JD2720
Several extra SS pans and propane burners
Single cone filter and tank/Sunrise Metal Shop
14x16 Sugar Shack, Sugars, Blacks, some Silvers
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Thanked 25 Times

Yes, the membrane is a Filmtec NF 270. As far as acid wash, Ray sells citric acid which you should be able to get from any maple supplier. For soap, you can buy the food grade sodium hydroxide on ebay for $ 10 to $ 15 for 2 to 3 lbs. It only takes one tablespoon in my 8" membrane to get PH over 11, so may only need a teaspoon on your unit. You can buy a PH meter on ebay for $ 10 to $ 12. Dow recommends maximum PH of 12 at 95 degrees for soap wash.

CDL Dealer for all of West Virginia & Virginia
Les Cruchon and Sugarhill dealer for WV & Virginia
24x56 Sugarhouse
2x8 High efficiency with Steamaway
1,000+ on CDL 3/16 Natural Vacuum
500 RO
Kubota L3400

www.danielsmaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to WVMAPLER For This Post:
maplemark753 (April 14th, 2015)
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplemark753 View Post
For those who have the 125, or 250, are you using the stuff Ray supplies for wash, acid, and membrane preservative? I'm out. We have a Lapierre dealer within driving distance, and a CDL store about an hour away. Or we could just order online if its shippable. This is bad, but I think the membrane is a dow filmtec nf270. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that! Thanks for your input. I called, his msg said he was up in Vermont.
take care, Mark
If the membrane is an NF270 the pH is 11 at 95 F. A pH of 12 is 10 times the soap as a pH of 11. This comes directly off the Dow website. If the membrane is an NF90 or an XLE then the correct pH is 12 at 95 F. The NF 270's are extremely sensitive to the pH of the wash and that's one of the reasons they will pass sugar. The correct mix is 1 part soap with 10,000 parts water or 0.13 ounces per 10 gallons of water. Verify the pH is 11 before starting the wash.
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  

Thanks for the information, appreciate it. Just an FYI, I spoke with both Leader and Sugarbush Supplies today and neither can ship their RO soap. Both advised that it was a prohibition on shipping hazardous materials...
Also, reading the Dow site info, (if I am reading their info right...) it appears that they recommend the routine rinsing be done at 20 degrees C., or about 70 degrees F. For us I'd have to heat a whole cage tank to do that.
Mark
Poly tanks, cage tank, small trailer, JD2720
Several extra SS pans and propane burners
Single cone filter and tank/Sunrise Metal Shop
14x16 Sugar Shack, Sugars, Blacks, some Silvers
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 0 Times

You can use food grade lye like Red Devil as a substitute for their RO soap. Just make sure you measure the pH. I know the RO soap is probably buffered and has some other additives, but the food grade lye will work. Food grade lye is used in cooking for things like making pretzels, etc and might be available locally. Since you have an NF270 you won't need a lot of lye. A two pound bottle will be enough for a long time. I got mine last year from Duda Diesel on line. A two pound bottle cost about $13 to ship but if you can't find it locally that would be an option.