Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 0 Times

Default Best size for RO on 700-1000 + taps

I have Sm Brothers 2x8 evaporator rated at 40 gph and wonder what size, brand of RO unit I would need.
Hmm well I actually might add more as I discovered the allure of 3/16" natural gravity and I could tap the gully below me and collect and pump up to the syrup camp. So I wold not like to upgrade the evaporator but rather RO or other?
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1750
Photos: 12
Thanked 5 Times
  View my photos  
Default love my RO

I'm boiling 2150 taps on a 30x10 using a Deer Run Maple unit. It started as a 350gph electric but we added another membrane to make it a 500gph, I can Ro for 3 hrs and boil for 5 it takes about 6 hrs start to finish, the next problem will be filtering 4 times faster in sugar sand . good luck
Old March 28th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 620
Thanked 150 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowle3 View Post
I have Sm Brothers 2x8 evaporator rated at 40 gph and wonder what size, brand of RO unit I would need.
Hmm well I actually might add more as I discovered the allure of 3/16" natural gravity and I could tap the gully below me and collect and pump up to the syrup camp. So I wold not like to upgrade the evaporator but rather RO or other?

Good news you have just the right size evaporator to match up with a RO and you will be good for many years. Some say to get a RO that will have a little more output than your evaporator can boil. So a smaller R.O. may work for you.
I have about the same number of taps but have a older larger King evaporator. Still boiling raw sap!:)
Regards,
Chris
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:34 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

It has a lot to do with how you manage your time. The hobby RO's work very well if you can collect RO and recirculate as you manage the sugar house. Tanks, tanks and more tanks can make this task an easy one . Trying to store sap and concentrate and permeate and still keep things orderly is where having good tanks and plumbing set up will make it manageable.
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 0 Times

Default Maple RO sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowle3 View Post
If I were you, I would not buy anything smaller than 200 gpm.
Often people for economic reason tend to buy too small.
Call me on this toll free line, for more infos to guide your choice.
1 (844) 382-2244

Regars,
Steve O'Farrell
Old April 1st, 2015, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 984
Photos: 31
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

I have 800+ taps on Vac with a 30x10 and a 375 Deer Run Ro. It does just fine. I would have no problem going up to 1100-1200 taps with this setup. I never boil for more than 3 jours.
Old April 1st, 2015, 03:51 PM
Manufacturer

Thanked 0 Times

Oh, Sorry I meant 200 gph not gpm.