Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 10
Thanked 17 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default Setting up RO tanks

I am getting ready to set up my Ro and have questions on how to best set up my tanks.

I have 1000 taps on 24" of vac.

I have 1 700 gallon dairy tank and a 650 gallon dairy tank out side the shack for sap collection releaser sets on top. They are plumb together.

I have 2 cage tanks (300 gallons each approx.) and a 350 gallon dairy tank available plus a 475 gallon truck tank.

I use a cage tank (300 gallon approx.) for my head tank to feed the evaporator.

Space inside the shack is limited at this time. How would you set this up and witch tanks would you use?

Thanks for any help with this!
Smoky Lake auto-draw
smoky Lake 2x4 finisher
wes fab short bank filter press (new for 2016)
Delaval 78 vacuum pump
1000 on vac
650 gallon zero tank
700 gallon surge tank
Gilles Bernhard double mechanical releaser
Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO
https://www.facebook.com/WhaleysMapleSyrup
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Thanked 25 Times

Use the plastic tanks for permeate and the stainless tanks for sap. I picked up two of the 275 gallon cage tanks for permeate when I bought my 500 RO from Ray and have them plumbed together inside the RO room beside it for permeate. I have a 625 gallon milk tank beside evaporator for raw sap that feeds the RO and beside it I have a 320 gallon Lapierre round bottom stainless tank that feeds evaporator and recirculates sap back down into the 625 gallon tank if I choose too.

CDL Dealer for all of West Virginia & Virginia
Les Cruchon and Sugarhill dealer for WV & Virginia
24x56 Sugarhouse
2x8 High efficiency with Steamaway
1,000+ on CDL 3/16 Natural Vacuum
500 RO
Kubota L3400

www.danielsmaple.com
The Following User Says Thank You to WVMAPLER For This Post:
whalems (March 3rd, 2015)
Old March 3rd, 2015, 10:22 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Whalems. Keep as much permeate as you produce for cleaning and rinsing. I have 3-275 tanks for permeate and you can never clean or rinse enough so don't dump it. I also recommend plenty of drains for cleaning the tanks. Having the ability to transfer liquid between tanks, RO and all other storage. Even having the ability to transfer permeate to the head tank for evap cleaning will save you time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Post:
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

If you have all of the tanks from raw sap, permeate, concentrated sap, Wash tank and head tank plumbed into a central header that is feed into the RO you can switch valves without leaving the RO room/Otherwise your running around more outside switching things over.

Permeate tank you just keep pumping the permeate to it and if tank is inside then pipe in an overflow pipe to the outside on the ground. This way anytime you make concentrate it is filling permeate tank topping it off and you about always have a full tank for what ever your needs are?

Some Valves off your RO concentrate line will send it to the recirc tank or head tank. If the RO bogs down on flow and you need to rinse to get better flow rates=DO NOT send that sap to your recirc tank. Send it to the head tank as all that bacteria you are trying to get rid of it will not have a chance to go through the membrane again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Sargent For This Post: