Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 150
Thanked 0 Times

Default R.o. Pressure switches

Does anyone know a manufacturer of the pressure switches used like the ones on the deer run units? Or maybe part numbers. Any info would be great.
Thanks Brent
Old February 24th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 10 Times

For the pressure switch that cuts out with no sap (or a plugged filter) I just got on Grainger and bought a well pressure switch. (Just like what you would have on your well pump assuming you're not on city water. ) what these switches do is close (make contact) when pressure drops too low (for your house, this would make the pump come on when the pressure drops). Then I just rigged mine up so when the switch closed it would short the engine coil to ground (this is just like the way the off switch on most small engines work).

You can get these in all sorts of pressure ranges. I think this is similar to what I bought.
DAYTON Pressure Switch,DPST,20/40 psi,1/4" FNPT - Pressure and Vacuum Switches - 12T084|12T084 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Note that you won't be able to start the Ro with this installed- this switch kills the motor when pressure is low, but you can't build pressure without the motor- it's a catch 22. You need a simple toggle switch installed (even a light switch will do) that keeps this pressure switch from working until pressure has built up.

I didn't put in the high pressure cut off that Ray includes- I used a different pump that maxes out a 250 psi so I don't worry about the pressure getting too high
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Thanked 25 Times

This is just a well pressure points/switch you can buy at any hardware store that carries any kind of well supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstamp View Post
For the pressure switch that cuts out with no sap (or a plugged filter) I just got on Grainger and bought a well pressure switch. (Just like what you would have on your well pump assuming you're not on city water. ) what these switches do is close (make contact) when pressure drops too low (for your house, this would make the pump come on when the pressure drops). Then I just rigged mine up so when the switch closed it would short the engine coil to ground (this is just like the way the off switch on most small engines work).

You can get these in all sorts of pressure ranges. I think this is similar to what I bought.
DAYTON Pressure Switch,DPST,20/40 psi,1/4" FNPT - Pressure and Vacuum Switches - 12T084|12T084 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Note that you won't be able to start the Ro with this installed- this switch kills the motor when pressure is low, but you can't build pressure without the motor- it's a catch 22. You need a simple toggle switch installed (even a light switch will do) that keeps this pressure switch from working until pressure has built up.

I didn't put in the high pressure cut off that Ray includes- I used a different pump that maxes out a 250 psi so I don't worry about the pressure getting too high

CDL Dealer for all of West Virginia & Virginia
Les Cruchon and Sugarhill dealer for WV & Virginia
24x56 Sugarhouse
2x8 High efficiency with Steamaway
1,000+ on CDL 3/16 Natural Vacuum
500 RO
Kubota L3400

www.danielsmaple.com
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 10 Times

I just found that getting it at the hardware store didn't let me get one that goes low enough- well pressure switches would cut out at 25-30 psi and I didn't want my Ro to shut off until it got down into the 10-15 range. Grainger delivers overnight for me, so I thought it was just as easy as going to the hardware store and better selection- just my 2 cents
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

I would not want my hi pressure pump running with only 10-15 psi feeding it.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 150
Thanked 0 Times

I have looked at those switches. The ones that deer run uses just have a clean look to me, and seem like they would be weatherproof. I have searched for hours trying to find something like them on the web with no luck. Was hoping someone with one could read some info on one. Must be a well kept secret! Thanks for the help guys!