Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default UV lights

just wondering how many of you folks are running UV lights with you RO's?? I also have a few questions.
when using the light you pick a light to match the flow of your concentrate correct?
for maple is it a special bulb, or can a house hold unit be used

been thinking about a light, and had to install a uv system for work this week and found out that the house hold system was no where near as expensive as what I had previously thought.
here's the system I installed this week, and if I have to match the concentrate out put this would be enough for our ro capabilities.

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 57 Times

Jake, where would this be placed? Before or after feed tank or before your RO?

Sugarsand
Lots of help from my wife, Pat and
Son, Pete
D&G filterpress
16x32 canner from 3rdgen
600 custom RO
2015 Mahindra 70hp
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:47 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser's Maple View Post
for maple is it a special bulb, or can a house hold unit be used
Units made for water use can be used for maple sap or concentrate, but will only have limited effectiveness due to the fact that sap and concentrate are frequently considerably more opaque and turbid and have WAY higher microbial loads than most domestic water supplies, so the UV doesn't penetrate as well and doesn't completely kill or inactivate the microbes in the sap or concentrate. You could slow the flow rate, or run it through a couple of units, which would help.

When using UV, the bulbs should also be changed every couple of years as they degrade over time. They'll still put out light, but the dose of UV will diminish over time.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 57 Times

Dr. Tim, would the flow rate between the head tank and the float box make it a more effective place for uv light?
Son, Pete
D&G filterpress
16x32 canner from 3rdgen
600 custom RO
2015 Mahindra 70hp
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:36 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsand View Post
Dr. Tim, would the flow rate between the head tank and the float box make it a more effective place for uv light?
The idea behind a UV light is to cut down on microbial conversion of sucrose to invert sugars (glucose and fructose), which cause darker syrup. So you want to knock back the microbes BEFORE they get a chance to work on the sap, therefore UV lights are typically used right after sap is collected or during sap storage in tanks.

Sap isn't around for long between the head tank and the float box, so a UV light there would have almost no effect on syrup quality.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:43 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Sugarsand I have one from my old hot tub Ill send you for free...........................its food grade.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 57 Times

Haynes, I know what you mean, everything in my hot tub is considered food grade.
Son, Pete
D&G filterpress
16x32 canner from 3rdgen
600 custom RO
2015 Mahindra 70hp
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times

see I was considering putting the UV light on the concentrate side of the ro before the head tank. our flow rate is just hovers around the 240 gph on concentrate side and was thinking about this 12 gpm (720 gph) uv light to try to compensate for the cloudiness, and additional bacteria that maple sap has vs regular house hold water. Or would one want to stick the uv light before the sap enters the RO
I know our set up is that the sap enters the raw sap tank, and doesn't sit because we are processing with the ro as soon as it enters the back side of the sugar house. only sap that is sitting would be the stuff that comes from the woods the sugar house is located in because we put directly into the raw sap tank from the electric releaser. I was just looking to possibly kill what bacteria I could because our head tank sits in the evaporator room, and can get warm in there, and there is really no way with the set up of the sugar house to move the head tank to a cooler location.

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Depending upon budget cuts if you really want a light that will do it all and extra here is what I used for about 12-13 seasons and the homemade unit is probably 10x more powerful then what is on the market. Today's cost might be close to $500 I had run all sap/and concentrate when i got an RO through this light hanging over my head tank guessing run time might have been 150 hours a season? Left concentrated sap for up to 4 days and kept on making the same grade I left off at. The lights 2 bulbs are 230w combined not the 7-15w you see some sap UV lights listed at.

Parts were ordered from Grainger and electrical supplier that I had an industrial electrician wire up for me and he made the stainless cover over the EXTRA deep shop lamp to hold the specialized transformer to run the bulbs.

Just in the min it took me to take the pic my eyes/head feels like a minor headache. Can you say purple haze. Luke Dr Tim says bulbs will loose efficience over time as the very ends if bulbs loose the glow. When i First installed light and positioning to center over head tank I lost eyesight for about 36 hours/ couldn't open eyes for 24.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH OPEN BULBS.
Attached Thumbnails
UV lights-img_20150123_182025_013.jpg   UV lights-img_20150123_182046_804.jpg   UV lights-img_20150123_182215_557.jpg  
Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:21 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times

Here's a uv light I plan on installing for this season. Its a used maple light made by Phil Hartmen. I plan on running raw sap through it before it goes into 500g or 600g ss tanks. I still gather 150 buckets so when I offload the tank on the pu it will go through the light.I have two other tanks in woods that I pump into storage tank at shanty. I will also pump through the light. I was told by Lyle Merle to plumb it so I can recirculate the sap back through if I need to store the sap for more then a day. I seems to work real good for him.I think I have enough pitch from the pu tank to gravity feed through the light,but I'll want to pre filter it first and I don't know if I can gravity feed a 20 inch filter. and how long will it take. When my sap supplier drops a load i'm sure he wont want to wait to long.So I may set a cage tank next to my shanty,and off load into that and put a submersible pump in it and pressure feed the pre filter and run it into the storage tanks. The light is only good for 6g-7g/min. so I dont think the submersible will have to much flow . Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
UV lights-img_0818.jpg   UV lights-img_0820.jpg