Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 250
Photos: 2
Thanked 23 Times
  View my photos  

Ryan sent you a PM about my RO. Are you using the needle valve on the concentrate flow meter , closing it to decrease the conc flow? increasing pump pressure on mine won't change, only increase, the flow rate. You have to use the needle valve to decrease the concentrate flow then permeate flow should increase.
Just what I found on the RO I made.
Mel
The Following User Says Thank You to MFarmall For This Post:
RHale (March 24th, 2015)
Old March 23rd, 2015, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Rhale, That is how mines runs.
Closing the concentrate needle valve on the concentrate flowmeter causes the concentrate to increase and the permeate flow to decrease. High pressure will increase as concentrate needle valve is closed down.
I recirculate my concentrated sap back into my raw sap tank. As I am doing this my high pressure will increase as the incoming sap sugar content increases. When it gets to about 250 psi I will open up the needle valve a little to keep the high pressure under 250.
Since I do not have membrane recirculation I like to keep the flow rate up to help keep the membranes from fouling. So 4-5 gpm concentrate flow is ok with me.
with about 275 gals of raw sap I run it like this for about 1 hr then send just enough over to the head tank to fire up the evap. My head tank last about an hour so I keep the RO running but recirculating back into the raw sap tank. After that hour of boiling and with my head tank low I will send all the concentrated sap over to my concentrate tank. It will now me right at 6%.

I have ran like this all season so far and I have not seen any decrease in performance in the RO.
I do perform a warm water rinse after every run of the RO. While running sap thru the RO I will put about 10-15 gals of permeate into my wash tank and warm it up to about 90 degrees. Once I am done running sap I will push out any sweet with permeate from my permeate tank and run maybe 100 gals thru it to drain to cleans out before then switching over to my wash tank and recirculate that warm permeate thru the RO for about 1/2 hr and then send that to drain.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 315
Photos: 93
Thanked 128 Times
  View my photos  

It appears that I'm running everything correctly then. Thanks to everyone for the words of advice. I was running ours around 200 psi as that seemed to be the point where the concentrate and permeate flows peaked. Even after closing the concentrate valve and running up to 225 PSI the rates didn't vary.

Dennis, I started doing the same thing on saturday with filling the head tanks then recirculating the concentrated sap. I was getting the sap close to 4% after what I was assuming to be 2 passes through the RO.

Water Jacketed Bottler, Hood, and Finish Pan by 3rdgen.maple
2x4 Hybrid Hobby with Autodrawoff
315 taps on 3/16 gravity and a handful on buckets
5" Filter Press by Daryl
14' x 20' Sugar Shack
Home-built RO
Officially caught the sugar bug

http://www.pottercreeksyrup.com/
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times

If your going to recirculate your concentrate back into your bulk sap tank have it enter on the surface and on the opposite side of your drain so you get better mixing of the 2 different Gradients (That would be sugar content for you New Yorkers).
The Following User Says Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Post:
RHale (March 24th, 2015)
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
If your going to recirculate your concentrate back into your bulk sap tank have it enter on the surface and on the opposite side of your drain so you get better mixing of the 2 different Gradients (That would be sugar content for you New Yorkers).
Chuck could you please explain gradient?
The Following User Says Thank You to wishlist For This Post:
regor0 (March 24th, 2015)
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times

I have my line coming into my tank so that it causes the entire tank to become a large swirl after only a few minutes of running. I want to keep it mixed.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook