Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default Ro wash instructions

Here's a copy of some generic RO wash instructions. Not sure where these came from so I cannot take any credit! I would adjust the amounts of permeate needed according to what size machine you have, number and size of membranes.

Soap Wash

1. After running RO rinse with permeate to flush sugar

2. Add 3-4 gallons of permeate , adjust ph to 10-11 and temp to 105/110 degrees

3. Circulate wash water about 20 minutes maintain 105/110 degrees (vary pressure 0-100 psi)

4. Rinse with 100-120 gallons of permeate , also vary pressure

Acid Wash

1. Do a soap wash first

2. 4 gallons permeate in wash tank, add citric acid to a ph of 2, about 3/4 oz.

3. Wash for 30 minutes then shut down and let soak 8-24 hours.

4. Rinse with 100-120 gallons of permeate

5. Wash RO with soap as above, rinse with 100-120 gallons of permeate

Membrane Preservative

1. Do a wash and acid wash

2. Fill wash tank with 5 gallons of permeate , add 1/2 tbs of preservative

3. Wash for 20 minutes

4. Remove membrane , put in storage vessel , then mix 3 or 4 gallons of preservative and fill vessel . Cap storage vessel and store in room between 35-105 degrees.

5. Storage preservative is good for 6 months
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wishlist For This Helpful Post:
1arch (March 5th, 2016), jimsudz (April 9th, 2016)
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 700

Default Do you need the preservative ?

I was told that if do your hot rinse ,hot soap wash, hot rinse #2 & then rinse with permeate for 200 + gals. then check PH add no preservative fill with the permeate seal up and store for the off season and that it will be just fine .This guy has done for years . I don't know this is first year with an RO I just wanted know if anyone has heard or done this Thanks Marty
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo Sugar House View Post
I was told that if do your hot rinse ,hot soap wash, hot rinse #2 & then rinse with permeate for 200 + gals. then check PH add no preservative fill with the permeate seal up and store for the off season and that it will be just fine .This guy has done for years . I don't know this is first year with an RO I just wanted know if anyone has heard or done this Thanks Marty

Welcome to SBI Marty, as to your question. I first must ask , how in the world do you do a " hot rinse " not once but 2 times ? That's alot of permeate to heat up . Membrane preservative is really inexpensive and you use such a small amount anyways .

Think.of it this way , we must heat syrup to 180 degrees before bottling , I seriously doubt 105 degree permeate will keep you membrane from growing some funky stuff sitting for 10 months .
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 4450
Thanked 11 Times

I was told once from a very well respected sugarmaker in VT to do a normal soap wash then rinse then wait a week do another wash and rinse then just let them sit in the housings for the year in the spring do another wash. His theory was whatever sugar is left in them bacteria eats and is then washed out. Since following this routine my membranes are still working great after 8 years
The Following User Says Thank You to BnSmaple For This Post:
Romeo Sugar House (April 9th, 2016)
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Producer

Default Permeate

Thank you for getting back so quick and I do appreciate your answer and please understand I am not questionig your answer but It not that the temp. of permeate is 105 deg. you rinse with the cool permeate for my RO 200+ Gal. and that what you leave in it . I hold as much as 600 Gals. of permeate . The sugar maker that had told me about this said he hold two big tanks of permeate but he is also tapping 8,000 and he said it's not about the cost but about storeing in a chemicals and the hunreds of gals water to rinse before start up . Also if it is true the permeate is more or less distilled water and has nothing that will grow in it .Thanks again for time and help Marty
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

A few around here are not using preservative but run rated capacity of spring water through each month. I use preservative because I would not get to it each month.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiam For This Post:
ttowle3 (April 18th, 2016)
Old April 17th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 0 Times

Default What kind of soap do you suggest?

What kind of soap do you suggest? Just regular dishsoap. What about using vinegar solution?
I have a spring so wonder if I should just rinse it with it once a month. IN winter bacteria etc should not affect it?
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Producer

Default Soap

I would say for sure not dish soap but the best thing is to check what type of menbrane you are using and see what type soap and also water temp recommended by the manufactuer . Hope this helps good luck with cleaning Marty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romeo Sugar House For This Helpful Post:
DrTimPerkins (April 18th, 2016), ttowle3 (April 18th, 2016)
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 0 Times

Default Filmtec XLE 4040 MEMBRANE

I didn't get any instructions when I bought this. What type of soap or cleaning agent is best suited to this membrane?
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:41 AM
UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr
Researcher

Number of Taps: 4,950
Thanked 688 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowle3 View Post
What kind of soap do you suggest? Just regular dishsoap. What about using vinegar solution?
I have a spring so wonder if I should just rinse it with it once a month. IN winter bacteria etc should not affect it?
My first comment is that you should follow the wash/rinse/storage instructions of the RO and membrane manufacturer. Different machines may have somewhat different procedures.

Secondly, "soap" does not refer to dishsoap, but rather is a generic term for a highly alkaline cleaner/sanitizer. NEVER use dishsoap to clean your membranes. Actually, never use dishsoap to clean anything in maple. Dishsoap leaves a film that is very difficult to get out, and when it gets into your sap it is concentrated by boiling, leaving a rather nasty off-flavor (unless you've gotten accustomed to and like soap flavor from your mother washing out your mouth because you swore a lot as a child).

Third....don't try home-based things for cleaning membranes. These things are expensive....not worth the problems you can cause.

Lastly, membranes should not normally be allowed to freeze, so there can still be microbial activity in the winter.

Membranes are one place where you do really want to treat them well. If you do, they'll be good for years. Treat them poorly and you're likely to spend a good amount replacing them frequently.
Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrTimPerkins For This Helpful Post:
gnemetz (April 19th, 2016), Robert K (April 19th, 2016), ttowle3 (April 18th, 2016)