Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:15 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default Membrane Reversal ?

When installing my RO membranes for this season is it beneficial to swap out the membranes. On my home build RO I have 2 membrane in series, I marked the membranes so I can change there position in series each year. Will it be beneficial to change O rings and switch the flow direction on these membranes?
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2000
Thanked 34 Times

If they were washed and rinsed I see no reason to change normal procedures. Maybe someone with more ro experience will chime in.
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1500
Thanked 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsudz View Post
When installing my RO membranes for this season is it beneficial to swap out the membranes. On my home build RO I have 2 membrane in series, I marked the membranes so I can change there position in series each year. Will it be beneficial to change O rings and switch the flow direction on these membranes?
Just want to make sure I have your question right- are you asking about switching the order (so that the membrane that the membrane that used to get the sap first now gets the sap second) or are you asking about switching direction (so that the END of the membrane that used to have the sap fed into it now is the "out" of the membrane).

On my XLE 4040's they came with an O Ring on the feed side... I'm not sure if you can reverse them and feed the other side (I didn't look to see if there even was a groove for the O Ring on the other side, and I'm not taking them apart to find out now, cause it was a pain to put them together in the first place ).

It seems to me that your first membrane might be more likely to catch the "junk" that your filter misses... so switching them might be beneficial. But, if you do a good job cleaning them, then all that junk would be out of the membrane anyway. So, switching them wouldn't matter... I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

--Josh