Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default Membrane cleaning g and Maintenance

I have a thread going about MY RO membrane and there is a thread about pan testing that has gone off topic to membrane cleaning and rinsing. There is some great feed back that shouldn't be lost in another tread so lets keep it going here...Thanks
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 475
Photos: 1
Thanked 48 Times
  View my photos  

I had written before that I had started up our RO using our water here at our place (well water, filtered, non-chlorinated) and there were a couple of responses that probably rightly gave me some concern about making a big mistake and fouling the membrane right out of the gate. So, I read some posts, and then still was concerned.
So, on coffee break this morning I called Ray Gingerich, who made the electric 125 that we have to talk with him about it. He was helpful and forthright as usual. Long story short, he said we should be fine with doing that on start up to get some initial permeate going. (got about 300 gallons now) He also said that's the way he's done it for over 10 years now, with no bad results thus far. The hand written manual he provides has his instructions for maintenance, rinsing, washing, and storing, so we will follow that.
Can't (and wouldn't try to!) speak to anybody elses RO, or any of the "majors" RO either, just ours. Just an aside on the Deer Run ROs...ours, and the much larger ones I saw while there picking ours up, all seem to have very good build quality, and do well the intended job at what I think is a pretty good price. Just my thoughts on that. take care,
Mark
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

I can't believe it would hurt the membrane to run on filtered , non-chlorinated well water? That's what these things are used for. Heck they even use brackish and seawater membranes. I plan on doing this with my unit before season to check for leaks and set thing up right. In fact, after speaking with Joe from Atlantic r.o. he suggested I use the r.o. in my house to replace my current small r.o. that I have had since 1995 with only 2 membrane changes. Looking for a few more gph for household use but I don't need a 40" membrane in the house.

For what its worth, my well has a very high TDS, ( around 4500 ) and just checked it yesterday and I'm still getting a little over 90% removal . My house r.o. has no flush, rinse, or wash cycle. Just a small aquajet booster pump. Very simple.
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

In the past I have had issues with membranes being plugged with minerals from using our (very hard and high mineral) well water for initial rinse. I have been using sap for the past several years and have avoided this problem. I was in Swanton today and stopped at Lapierre. Their technician recommended using well water for that rinse but with the condition that the high pressure pump not be used. Just use the input pump. He also said not to use the recirculation pump until you are sure that the water is all the way through the entire RO.