Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 1000
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 10
Thanked 17 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  
Default Sizzing an RO

I am strongly considering adding an RO to my operation. It won't be for this coming season due to all the upgrades I am already doing this year. What size should I be looking for? I will have 1200 taps on vac Running 23-24" in a year or so and that will be my max. I have a 4x11 evaporator(I know its an odd size). I am looking to reduce the amount of wood I have to process to feed that animal. Any suggestions advice appreciated.
Smoky Lake auto-draw
smoky Lake 2x4 finisher
wes fab short bank filter press (new for 2016)
Delaval 78 vacuum pump
1000 on vac
650 gallon zero tank
700 gallon surge tank
Gilles Bernhard double mechanical releaser
Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO
https://www.facebook.com/WhaleysMapleSyrup
Old June 8th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 18 Times

I would think a 600 would be perfect on most days run it for 2 hours then you be left with 300 gallons of 8% that is if you start with 1200 gal also with that ro you could buy sap and just recirculate. But I think a 250 would be way too tiny because if you got 2 gal a tap in one day that means your ro would run 10-12 hours by the time you do a couple rinses. Also 600 are a dime a dozen used.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I also vote for the 600. I have a used CDL and as pointed out in other threads As the membrane ages and becomes less efficient the number will lower. Im running around 950 taps and its a nice easy pace with 7-8%. I would do it ASAP and get one that is auto everything. Now as far as a dime a dozen I wish.

I believe this is the year of the RO when it comes to the best possible way to manage your time and increase profits after the expense of the unit is paid for. I see it as the difference from using a 1 man cross cut saw and a ax to a hydraulic log splitter and the best chainsaw you can buy when making firewood..................................insert comments from Zak + 3rdgen here (............)
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Photos: 3
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

something to think about, there will be days when you wont have enough permeate to do the wash and rinse cycle, with a 600 gphr machine
130 on gravity
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:46 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

That is those days you have a 600 Gal tank plumbed in and let it just overfill all season on the ground so no matter what you have 600 gals of permeate even on a slow day. 200 gals will wash and rinse a 600.
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Kevin tell me more I have 825 in Permeate storage. I will do small 200 gallon rinses through out the day I start to get low on the permeate. I was told rinsing though out the day is the best way to keep the membrane clean. Can a guy get away with less?
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 984
Photos: 31
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Kevin another question... Is it better to have one large permeate tank or smaller ones connected together likes Haynes has?
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Heus The question should also say that my RO stops its cycle when it runs out of liquid.
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

Make sure you have all the sugar out of the membrane and then run 10-15 min of permeate through for a quick rinse. My Wash water is all hot while i was in concentrating mode and i filled the wash tank with permeate while in concentrate mode=using lapierre wash panel. While still running i Shut off the Hi Psi Pump and Without shutting off low PSI pump i close the permeate tank valve and open up the wash tank valve and adjust the wash/concentrate valve on the panel as well as adjust the PSI for the wash through the feed valve to low PSI to about 20-25 PSI This is after i have added the sodium hydroxide=one in a great while it will shut RO off on Hi Temp but mainly stay running and in the hi 90* temps.

After a 15-30 min soap wash i rinse again with 15-20 min of permeate(150-175 gals?) and that all goes down the drain. If you are observant you will see your flow rates increase when you rinse the sugars out of the membrane as well as a rinse with just permeate=that will show you that you are pretty clean and ready to concentrate again.

If you have a designated tank you can just let that overflow all season long and you know you have 600 on hand=that is what my permeate tank capacity was. Start concentrating first thing next day and the permeate tank is overfilling in 20-30 min of concentrate run time. Once/maybe 2X a season you need to do a rinse while concentrating but that is easily replaced as soon as you get concentrating again.

When i first got my RO i figured that i always needed 600 gals permeate but i tend to think outside the bag and try to figure a better way of doing things. I seen with my sap that i only needed 200 and rinsing with 600 was no better in flow rates= Did i say watch your flow meters/that will tell you how clean the membrane is???
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

CDL says that doing a quick rinse during the day between concentrations and a acid wash at days end. Kevin are you saying not to rinse.