Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old June 15th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 100
Thanked 19 Times

Check out these motor prices. Be aware, shipping is extra.
Surplus Center
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

Looking at Panel mounted flow meters on freshwatersystem web site and I am not total sure which version to get.
I plan on getting one each of an adjustable and non-adjustable flow meter. I was looking at the .5-5.0 gpm rated flow meters. Will these be the correct size for say a 2 membrane RO?

At 5 gpm that works out to be 300gph on the high the side and 30 gph on the low side.
Or should I get the .2-2.0 gpm for the adjustable flow meter for the concentrate side and a .5-5.0 gph for the permeate side?

I'm think that I should be fine with both being the .5-5.0 gpm versions.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

I would go with the bigger one. At the start of a run mine would be around 1.1-1.3 with just one vessel. Unless your running a flow meter for each vessel?
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

I would be running just one flow meter for permeate and one for concentrate for the entire RO.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:40 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

.05-5 is correct
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

Working in the garage the other day and looking at all the stuff that I have stashed around up there thinking to myself that I sure need to clean this place up, I spotted just the thing for my wash tank.
I was originally going to get a large stock pot like others have done and find a local welder that could weld a bung in it for the heating element and a drain.
Well I will not have to get a stock pot I have something better. I have 1/2 of a double basin milk sink!
I got this milk sink several years ago and cut it in half and used one of the basins as a head tank for the evap. The other have is right now just taking up space in the garage.
Now I think I have a good use for it. I still will need to have a bung welded in for the heating element but that will be it. I will make an adapter for the drain to have a ball valve there for ease of draining.

The tank is about 27 gals when completely full so I should have more than enough capacity for a wash tank.
Attached Thumbnails
My RO Build-head-tank.jpg  
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

Trying to get the next order of stuff lined up, my eyes are going crossed trying to keep all this info straight.

I am looking to get the Flow meters, filter housing and gauges.
I looked at Freshwatersystems.com 1st. I am almost certain that is where I will be getting the flow meters and filter housing.
The filter housing is a standard 10" made by Watts it is $9.99.
The flow meters will be a .5-5.0 panel mount for $29.72 and an adjustable .5-5.0 panle mount for $53.62.
Now the pressure gauges, I want to get panel mount 0-300psi panel mounts. I am pretty sure the ones they have are not panel mount, where is a good place to get panel mounted pressure gauges?

Next will be 3 way valves. I found a good price for bronze panel mounted 1/2"npt 3 way ball valves, $19.62 at Zoro Tools. I would like SS but the only place that I could find them for a price that I could afford was on ebay and they are all coming for china.
Will bronze valves be an issue down the road? I'm thinking that it will not and since I will be getting other things from Zoro I will be able to take advantage of cheaping shipping fees.

The hardest part is not really finding the cheapest pricing for the items it is finding the best way to have the stuff shipped the cheapest. I am finding it may be better to get more stuff from the same company even though the price may be a few bucks more, I'll save it in the cheaper or even free shipping fees.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old June 27th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Its coming along! :).

Couple things , I think you said your running a feed pump right? If so, I used a 0-100psi on the low pressure side and 0-300 on the high pressure. With the 1hp well pump I'm at 45-50 psi. I got the panel mounts from the eBay seller in Florida. All for water ? He sells vessels as well.

Stainless 3 way is not needed , I picked up Whitey valves, we used those on our liquid chlorine lines at work . Very good valves.

Did you sign up for email at zoro tools ? They constantly have specials going on.

I have a few extra auto/manual selected switches if you need one Dennis. They are made for panel mount.

I start the the feed pump in manual and once pressure is above 25psi I have a indicator light comes on then start the hp pump and switch to auto. In auto mode if pressure falls below 25 psi the contactor shuts off both pumps.
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

Good point Bob. You only need the three ways if your plumbing all your tanks "permanently".
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

Thanks for that info wishlist, that will help.

I will be running a feed pump. I just wasn't sure which one to buy. I saw that you were using a shallow well pump. I was eyeing up a pump on ebay that was about $90, just wasn't sure how good it really was.

I did not think I "needed" SS 3 way valves but I figured I would ask. SS looks so much nicer. By the way I did look thru a few of the big name RO manufactures and on the diagrams of the backside of the RO you can see that they also used Bronze 3 way valves. Even the needle valves for adjusting concentrate level and pressure were not SS.

Yeah I get Zoro emails and I am going to try and get an order in this week, they are running a 25% special. I think it was on any order over $250 but that should not be an issue with the few things that I need to get.

I did do some searching for the high pressure pump motor that I want. It will be a 1-1/2 HP Leeson. The best place that I could find is thru Surplus Center, that is even with paying shipping fees.
I was told to check out PTJ Industrial, they did have some good prices but they were not Leeson motors and they did not have a base mount.
2 Membrane Homemade RO