Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

Dennis, I have had good luck with a 1" bulkhead fitting for a 3500 watt element. 14 gallon plastic barrel. Will heat about 1 degree/minute.
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM
2012 Arcade Champion
Producer

Number of Taps: 10600
Thanked 116 Times

2.5 gpm= 150 gph, as a 4 inch membrane is good for 125 you will be fine. We did it with 3 towers with excellent results. Do as you will but parallel was very simple.

As far as heating the water what we did was used a milker bucket, added a fitting, and put it on top of a small gas heater, turned it on low and presto worked great.

good luck with your build.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
Taplin Hill I couldn't agree more about the recirculation pump, but that would drastically increase the cost of the RO. If you know a good place to get a pump that will work well for a recirculation pump let me know.

As for the membranes in parallel, it was expland to me that to keep the membranes from fouling as fast is to keep as much flow thru each membrane as possible. So let say that the flow thru the high pressure pump is 5GPM then the flow would be split between the two membranes, 2.5 GPM for each. These are just example numbers.
If I am understanding this incorrectly please correct me this info is what I am using to put this project together.
i use a multistage pump for pressure.. it will heat the wash water for you by just recirculating it.

As for flow..yes.. split for multiple membranes. parallel is better than series if you don't have recirculation pumps.

if you are looking at a 4x40 xle without recirculation, you should get about 50-60 gph permeate per membrane. 4x40 xle max flow is 14 gpm. to keep them clean without re-circulation, you will need about 7 gpm per membrane. (1 permeate + 6 concentrate @ pressure of about 200-250 psi) this will get you close to 120 gph machine. 2 membranes..240+ .. depending on pressures run.

yes you can build a 150gph RO for under 2k. without tanks.( with tanks if you get smoking deals on tanks..)
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 222
Journals: 7
Photos: 7
Thanked 117 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

A little progress here on my RO, well not really just getting things lined up and finding where to get everything.

I got a really good deal on a Procon series 5 stainless steel vane pump off of ebay.
I was going to get the pump thru Zoro Tool but when I looked on ebay I found one there. It is a 330gph with no pressure release.

I now need to get the pump adapter for a 56C style motor and the motor itself. I am looking to pick up a 1 1/2hp Leeson motor.

I will most likely get the feed pump off of ebay also. I found a bunch listed there that will do just fine.

I am going a little slow getting the stuff because I need to sell some syrup to get some $$ to purchase the components for the build.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Classified Ads: 2
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

I've been waiting for this post Dennis.

When I was building mine I stumbled on the adaptor on a website in CA. Had to do with water purification of some sort and they had the adaptor dirt cheap. Around $20 if my memory is correct.

Are you doing a single post XLE4040 or a 2 post machine?
Old June 14th, 2014, 05:47 AM
2013 Top Fund-Raising Donor
Producer

Number of Taps: 2156
Photos: 38
Thanked 592 Times

Yup I agree with Wishlist....bout time this thread got revived by you can't wait to see the progress as the summer and fall unfolds. good luck Dennis and can't wait to see the end result

24x68 sugar house
2 beautiful little girls
4x8 chicken mansion for wife's 13 chickens
1 wife that's becoming her mother
1 70 year old father that will always critique everything

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple
www.mosersmaple.com
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

Yeah I know it has been awhile, I was wanted to start this build for awhile now too.
I wanted to 1st build a cool room to store syrup in , an auto drawoff controller for the evap, and I had to organize the garage little. But now those are done I am a little freer to start on the RO build.

Single post, double post? Very good question. I am going to build it with plans to have 2 but when the time comes to buy the membranes and vessels money will decide which way I go. If I can only go with 1 then as soon as the money comes a second will be added, just not sure if I want to run them series or parallel.

Wishlist, I'll keep searching the web for a good place to get the adapter. So far the only place I could find was Zoro Tool and ebay and they wanted $73 for it.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 900
Photos: 3
Thanked 210 Times

Dennis I bought 2 vessels with the intention of a 2 membrane machine. After using it the first year with one membrane I really see no need in my operation for another membrane. My 2x6 wont keep up with the ro. I was easily getting 1.5 gpm of concentrate . Something to ponder? I'm using a 3/4 HP motor and it just gets warm . I have found ( Joe from Atlantic mentioned this as well) the xle4040 doesn't need 250 psi or higher. In fact I did experiment with higher psi, the gain in flow was minimal.

Hang on before you buy that adaptor , I'll see if I can find the website.
The Following User Says Thank You to wishlist For This Post:
Flatpan (August 28th, 2015)
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 117 Times

Cool, thanks.
2 Membrane Homemade RO
Old June 14th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 116 Times

Default My RO Build

I was on joe's website yesterday. He has the membrane housings on sale. Atlanticro.com
The Following User Says Thank You to regor0 For This Post:
chieffdc (April 19th, 2015)