Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 984
Photos: 31
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  
Default Recommendations on tank sizes

Just thinking about what size tanks I will need for next year. Heres the details:
550-700 taps on 21" of vac
2.5x10 boiling 75-85 gph
Ray Gingerich 375 ro
What size permeate tank and concentrate (feed) tank would you guys recommend? Currently I have a 205 gallon round bulk tank for a head tank, 500 stainless raw sap storage tank, as well as a 325 gal poly truck tank and 275 cage tank.
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals

I would go with as much storage as you can get. Im going twice as big as recommended. When I had the big sap run I was letting permeate run out the 3 pallet tank top. I then needed to rinse, wash and re rinse the RO and I was out of permeate. Then no sap for 4 days and I didn't have reserve permeate for a rinse to start the next sap run or clean my pans. Pallet tanks are the best cheap way to go.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Haynes so you just have the pallet tanks tied together at the bottoms?
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default agree

You cannot have enough rinse water storage . - foamy
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

So foamy I assume that a 500 gallon tank would be sufficient for a 375 gph ro, right?
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 400
Thanked 45 Times

Default Yes it will work

The bare minimum that you want is 375. That being said I think that 5oo is good . Next year I want to catch every drop of permeate for rinsing , washing and general cleanup . Chasing syrup out of the press with hot permeate is the best. And like Haynes said having the extra water on hand will allow you to do a quick rinse part way thru the day then a good rinse after a soap wash at night. I am using a 325 tank on a 250 lapierre this was too small now I am looking at buying an 800 gallon bulk tank . This is what seems to work for me - Foamy
The Following User Says Thank You to foamy For This Post:
heus (April 13th, 2013)
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Heus I did take 3 pallet tanks and join them together with 2" PVC I used the existing pallet tank valves to isolate the tank during wash and rinse. I have the permeate running into the first tank from the RO. I have to open all bottom valves to fill them and then shut to store during cycles. I have the Permeate enter into the tank at the top to keep the strain off the pump during concentration. I plan on adding the ability to fill individual tanks so I can fill one at a time. IO also wrapped the 2" PVC with heat tape and insulation so I can keep things going in the cold weather.
Im also going to add 2 more tanks out where the old raw sap storage was for cleaning Permeate it will be pumped into the evap through the head tank so it keeps all the plumbing clean.
I had a weird thing happen in my site tube. Because the concentrate would sit in the site tube and not mix with the incoming sap to the evap I got a build up of what looked like clear thick Kyro syrup in the bottom of the tube. I would clean it out every few days it didn't stink or turn color just start to fill the tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haynes Forest Products For This Post:
heus (April 13th, 2013)
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2200
Thanked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by heus View Post
Just thinking about what size tanks I will need for next year. Heres the details:
550-700 taps on 21" of vac
2.5x10 boiling 75-85 gph
Ray Gingerich 375 ro
What size permeate tank and concentrate (feed) tank would you guys recommend? Currently I have a 205 gallon round bulk tank for a head tank, 500 stainless raw sap storage tank, as well as a 325 gal poly truck tank and 275 cage tank.
you will need at least a 750 gal permeate,the 205 should work as long as you boil while you concentrating,if you concentrate all your sap before you boil more than likely won't have enough room. one good run you should get1000-1200 gallons sap,concentrating that by taking 75% of the water out,you will have250 gallons or more of concentrate,750 of permeate.hope this helps you
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Thanks. I think I will purchase an 1100 gallon poly tank from TSC for $599 for the permeate tank. My existing 500 gallon stainless tank will become my concentrate/head tank. I will need to get another 1500 gallons of raw sap storage, too, maybe more.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

This the problem I see with having one big tank. My RO will rinse until it runs out of liquid so if your busy you could run yourself out of Permeate. Having Pallet tanks will allow for better control of usage of the Permeate through out the day. I will do my final rinse in the morning when I run and pick up sap and turn pumps on Then concentrate and go back for more concentrate again and quick rinse as I cook. I might rinse 4 times during the day and still have enough for wash and final rinse in the morning.