Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 88
Thanked 0 Times

Default Filter for homemade RO

I have the concept down pretty well. I have seen some push the sap through the filter and I've seen some draw the sap through.

I have a Culligan HD950 here (big blue) and can set it up either way.

From there, what sort of filter elements are recommended? Micron rating?

We use Aquapure AP810 5 micron filters in the house and it would be nice to use those. It seems that the 4.5" x 10" filters vary in length, but interchange?

Last edited by Diesel Pro; March 27th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

I use a 5 micron with a 20" filter. I have a boost pump before my filter and my pressure pump ( multistage ) is after it.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
The Following User Says Thank You to sapaholic For This Post:
Diesel Pro (March 27th, 2013)
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapaholic View Post
I use a 5 micron with a 20" filter. I have a boost pump before my filter and my pressure pump ( multistage ) is after it.
I think that the filter housing is rated to 100 psi. Can I get away with drawing through the filter w/o a booster?
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 5 Times

I use a 5 micron, 10 inch filter and pull the sap through it. My idea was to protect the pump from debri. It will pull sap from a 55 gal barrel set on end. Once the siphon starts, its not pulling much, but it will start the siphon itself. I try to keep the plumbing filled between barrels to make it happen more easily, but it is not necessary. I would not want to risk any chunks getting into a pump, so I put the filter first. I am using a procon pump ahead of an xle4040 membrane. It works great for me. Haven't had any issues yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to mustanger For This Post:
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 5 Times

One more thing. Using a smaller filter will cut your costs. I change my filter out each day I use it. I rinse it off before I run the permeate flush on the membrane. If you leave a filter in for a couple of days, you'll know why you shouldn't. It will get rank.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Photos: 3
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

I also pull thru my filter, also useing 5 micron 10". I use the same wash filter and rinse filter, but the sap filter needs to be changed at least every other day. I was froze up for a week and when i opened up the R/O cabinet it was pretty stinky.
130 on gravity
The Following User Says Thank You to ogdens sugar bush For This Post:
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanger View Post
I use a 5 micron, 10 inch filter and pull the sap through it. My idea was to protect the pump from debri. It will pull sap from a 55 gal barrel set on end. Once the siphon starts, its not pulling much, but it will start the siphon itself. I try to keep the plumbing filled between barrels to make it happen more easily, but it is not necessary. I would not want to risk any chunks getting into a pump, so I put the filter first. I am using a procon pump ahead of an xle4040 membrane. It works great for me. Haven't had any issues yet.

I have twin 65 gallon tanks in my "sap buggy" and can bottom draw for better feed.

Waiting on parts but my plan is to mount my equipment to a 2 wheel hand truck for a portable unit.

Procon 240gph pump and xle4040 as well.

I plan to use Uni strut and clamp the housing behind the uprights and mount the filter and pump in front.
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdens sugar bush View Post
I also pull thru my filter, also useing 5 micron 10". I use the same wash filter and rinse filter, but the sap filter needs to be changed at least every other day. I was froze up for a week and when i opened up the R/O cabinet it was pretty stinky.
So can I process sap then switch to permeate to wash and then drain and change filter?
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Photos: 3
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
So can I process sap then switch to permeate to wash and then drain and change filter?
you will want to put in your wash filter then switch to wash cycle, if you set it up with 2 sets of 3 way valves
130 on gravity
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Producer

Thanked 0 Times

OK I'm catching on. I'll see if I can find some inexpensive pleated filters and save my nice $23 Aqua Pure units for the house.

My RO will be portable. Take it to the tanks and manually plug the supply into the appropriate tank.

Cheap filter:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/dura.../0000000028832

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/dura.../0000000028829

I think I should be able to run the smaller diameter filter without worries aside from gallons of processing per filter right?

If I will be throwing out sap filters daily, low cost would definitely be better.