Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 800
Thanked 2 Times

Default RO question

I have been reading a lot of post on RO machines. I was wondering, it reduces the amount of sap you have to boil, can you save the concentrated sap in a storage tank until you have enough to boil. I have 350 taps want to put more in, but was thinking of purchasing RO then a vac system. or should I do it the other way around. Trying to increase production but need to decrease boiling time. thanks for your help
2018 bought 250 gal. RO.
Tapping 200 taps at neighbors all on buckets and gravity
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

Is your 32x72 flat or do you have flues? If it is flat, you won't need to worry about storage! either way, you don't want to store concentrate very long, as the increased sugar levels will promote fermentation quickly.

If you are building you own R/O , you can estimate removing 1/2 the water in 1 pass through your system. the size of the membranes will determine how fast you can put sap through the R/O process.
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife