Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Banned
Producer

Journals: 1
Photos: 6
Thanked 843 Times
  View my photos   Read my journals
Default RO Permeate tanks plumbing

I'm plumbing my 600 CDL RO and I'm using 3 pallet tanks for permeate storage. Now I'm using the bottom drains of the tanks for the return for washing. I'm linking all 3 tanks together for capacity. BUT will it work to fill the tanks from the bottom. I'm concerned that it will be fighting the pressure as they fill.
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 750

it wont be fighting any pressure filling as long as the tanks are vented properly
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

It will be pumping against the pressure of the Permeate in the tank as it fills just don't know how much head pressure there will be and will the pump handle it??
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 325
Thanked 75 Times

The head pressure should be less as you will not have the vertical head until the tank is full. When pumping you have verticle head loss and line loss due to friction of the pipe and fittings.

2013 - 136 taps 2 X 6 homemade evap., homemade water jacketed canner

2014 - 262 taps on bags and tubing to pails
Homemade hood and preheater
2015 - 335 taps 7 inch short bank filter press, 100 taps on 3/16 and 3 shurflo pumps
2017 Smoky Lake 2 x 6 drop flu pan set, hoods, water jacketed bottler and concentric exhaust system
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 200
Thanked 5 Times

Haynes, Your head pressure will increase as you fill the tank. I would be concerned about back pressure on the membrane when you aren't running the system. I would want a check valve in that line.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:38 AM
2012 Arcade Champion
Producer

Number of Taps: 10600
Thanked 116 Times

Dont do it that way, any pressure added to the permeate lines will decrease flow. Maybe on a 600 you would be fine, but I know on mine the pressure is an issue. go ahead and plumb it by itself to the top of the tanks. If all tanks are plumbed together you only need it going into one anyway.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

They will probably tell you in the instruction manual to NOT put any PSI on the permeate hose=everyone's probably has a little uphill in their discharge hose somewhere/but i would just put the permeate hose through the cap hole in the top of the tank and then gravity will level out the 3 tanks.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Banned
Producer

Thanked 843 Times

Mustanger Check valve wont allow the wash cycle plus you shut that valve when your concentrating so I don't believe there is any back pressure on the membrane. Tappin Hill all the tanks are plumbed together so I can fill one tank and get all filled. Ill just do a line out separately
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 821
Photos: 3
Thanked 23 Times
  View my photos  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
Mustanger Check valve wont allow the wash cycle plus you shut that valve when your concentrating so I don't believe there is any back pressure on the membrane. Tappin Hill all the tanks are plumbed together so I can fill one tank and get all filled. Ill just do a line out separately
Haynes, you definitely need a separate line to send the permeate out to your storage tanks. There would be back pressure using one line, when concentrating you're creating permeate and sending it to storage or down the drain, so if your saving it, it's going out the line to the storage tanks. I realize you have a cdl, but look at page 7 in the lapierre ro manual, http://www.sugaringequipment.elapierre.com/down/203.pdf it has flow charting that might help you set things up.

3x10 natural gas fired raised flue small bros.
250 gph Lapierre RO
Fine collection of used bulk tanks
Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
Great Family that pitches in
sap dog named Merlin (see pic)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 325
Thanked 75 Times

The back pressure is created from the column of water above the pump. It does not matter if it is a column 1 inch wide or 4 foot wide. If you pipe to the top of the tank you will have consistant head (back pressure) to pump against. If you come into the bottom, you will have less head (back pressure) until you get the tank filled and then it will equal the head of coming into the top of the tank.

2013 - 136 taps 2 X 6 homemade evap., homemade water jacketed canner

2014 - 262 taps on bags and tubing to pails
Homemade hood and preheater
2015 - 335 taps 7 inch short bank filter press, 100 taps on 3/16 and 3 shurflo pumps
2017 Smoky Lake 2 x 6 drop flu pan set, hoods, water jacketed bottler and concentric exhaust system