Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Go Back   Sugarbush.Info > Maple Production Information > Reverse Osmosis

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 10,500
Classified Ads: 1
Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  
Default Lapierre Expension - Feedpump Pressure Q

I expanded my 600GPH Turbo with a second 8" post. My 1HP pump is having trouble keeping the pressure up so it won't kick out. Before this occured, I had a thought of adding a second prefilter station so I have one instandby and never have to shut down due to a prefilter clogging. Now I'm thinking I need the second prefilter in parralel just to keep the pressure pump fed. I haven't been able to build over 200psi with the pressure pump. So I think my issue might be two-fold, 1) my feed pump might be undersized - and/or 2) the reduced prefilter surface area per membrane is limiting our flow.

Does anyone have experience with this? I was expecting more flow but I am kicking the pressure kill switch before I can really get it going.
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 9000
Thanked 90 Times
Cube Crash Champion  

How big is your feed line. Make sure you have lots of sap available for it to pump.
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Producer

Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
How big is your feed line. Make sure you have lots of sap available for it to pump.
1 1/4" feed line, might be 1 1/2" - I'd have to look. There is plenty of head pressure.

I'm going to try increasing the pre-filter capacity first. I'm sure I'm dropping pressure due to blinding prefilters.
Old February 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 780
Photos: 2
Thanked 2 Times
  View my photos  

Have you contacted Lapierre about the feed pump size for a 2 post set up? It could be that your feed pump doesn't have the capacity to supply 2 posts.

Algier 2x6 Raised Flue Evaporator
Lapierre 150 RO machine
Surge SP-22 Vacuum Pump
1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug Tractor

3 Stihl Chainsaws
2 Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws
1 Jonsered Chainsaw
1 "Wild Thing"
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 821
Photos: 3
Thanked 23 Times
  View my photos  

From the factory Lapiere 1200 gph units come with a 1 hp feed pump and 2 prefilter housings and 2 5hp high pressure pumps. So your feed pump should be big enough, I'd say that lack of flow through one filter is your problem. If you only have one high pressure pump you may not see that much above 200 psi until the membranes are getting dirty, but that's just conjecture. How many high pressure pumps do you have and what horsepower? Try another filter and see what happens.

3x10 natural gas fired raised flue small bros.
250 gph Lapierre RO
Fine collection of used bulk tanks
Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
Great Family that pitches in
sap dog named Merlin (see pic)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398

Last edited by mapleack; February 17th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:54 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

New filter if you don't have close to 60 PSI off from the Low to start the Hi Psi pump. Sounds like a clogged filter may be starving the low PSI pump for sap and not suppling the Hi psi pump to be able to keep up.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
CDL technical department
Consumer

Thanked 9 Times

With a Goulds 1hp 1st feed pump, the maximum pressure will be 40 PSI with 5hp pump off and 30-35 PSI with the 5hp pressure pump turn on with 2 membranes. And for the 200-250 PSI of high pressure, it will be the normal pressure if you stay at one 5hp pressure pump.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Producer

Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
With a Goulds 1hp 1st feed pump, the maximum pressure will be 40 PSI with 5hp pump off and 30-35 PSI with the 5hp pressure pump turn on with 2 membranes. And for the 200-250 PSI of high pressure, it will be the normal pressure if you stay at one 5hp pressure pump.
I put a second filter housing in parallel. Still can't get over 300PSI with pressure pump before feed pump dropped below 20PSI. I'm guessing I need a 2HP feed pump to be able to run the pressure pump at a higher flow. I can't use a pressure pump for cleaning process at all. It is better with second prefilter.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
CDL technical department
Consumer

Thanked 9 Times

How many GPM total you get (concentrate and permeate) before your RO shut down? Do you have a Grundfos supply pump (Black) or a Goulds supply pump (Blue)? If its a Goulds, his performance curve suppose to give you 35-36 PSI (Lapierre 5 hp pump 15 GPM at 300 PSI). If you can't have it, I think you have a mouse of something like that on the inlet of your supply pump. Begin to check this.
Old February 24th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Producer

Thanked 32 Times
  View my ads  

I was running at 25PSI and 300PSI. What micron size for prefilters do you use?