Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2000
Thanked 4 Times

Default ro tower line collapses?

I have a cdl 600 ro expandable with a single tower, after concentrateing is complete because I'm out of sap, I noticed that the clear line off the top of the the tower that moves the permeate ( I think) is collasping completely flat. Why
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:44 PM
2012 Arcade Champion
Producer

Number of Taps: 10600
Thanked 116 Times

They always do that no fear it doesnt effect anything, that will come right back up when you start it again to do a rinse or start RO'ing. It is a tight system and what is happening is a vacuum is occuring in those lines.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Producer

Thanked 4 Times

Thanks tap, it is a little scary. They cost to much to be doing something wrong. Is there any tricks I should be doing right now with these shut downs and start ups because it's a week between runs.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:14 AM
2012 Arcade Champion
Producer

Number of Taps: 10600
Thanked 116 Times

You will want to do another rinse before RO'ing again.
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Producer

Thanked 4 Times

Can I use sap and run it into the wash tank then catch coming out the drain. I don't have running water at the sugar house yet. How many gallons are you thinking, and is this just to get everything wet.
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 600
Photos: 3
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

this might be off topic, if so i will delete it,
how long between R/O shut down before it has to be rinsed again?
130 on gravity
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:59 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

If washed after every concentrate cycle and rinsed you could go for a month and not worry about bacteria build up to slow you down. Just a Rinse i wouldn't wait more then a few days before i did a wash if the sap wasn't going to run for a week-10 days.

Can't stress enough to WASH after every completed days concentrate cycle and of course rinse after the soap wash.. Keeps the membrane in top flow rate performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Sargent For This Helpful Post:
Cooper hill maple (February 17th, 2013), ogdens sugar bush (February 18th, 2013)
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 750

I find it interesting the varied opinions and advice on membrane washing, some say wash after every use. A year or two ago at a seminar the guy from Goodrich maple was saying how they were using and recomending a hot permeate wash at the end of every days use, and then a soap wash when it was needed a few times a season or so. I have been doing this and so far good results, usualy the permeate wash clears the membranes right out and good to go again. Like he had said, while soap is neccesary it also shouldnt be used more often than needed on membranes as that can affect them negatively also
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by markct View Post
I find it interesting the varied opinions and advice on membrane washing, some say wash after every use. A year or two ago at a seminar the guy from Goodrich maple was saying how they were using and recomending a hot permeate wash at the end of every days use, and then a soap wash when it was needed a few times a season or so. I have been doing this and so far good results, usualy the permeate wash clears the membranes right out and good to go again. Like he had said, while soap is neccesary it also shouldnt be used more often than needed on membranes as that can affect them negatively also
Most likely that was Karl Lappiere. He is the RO expert from the same name company(his dad). I like his theory but have not tried it. He seems to be able to keep flows up with his method and only soap washing 2-3 times per season
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:12 AM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Researcher

Number of Taps: 2
Photos: 18
Thanked 332 Times
  View my photos  

What the MEMBRANE MANUFACTURE will recommend is that a wash is needed when 10% or more of the permeate flow rate loss is noticed or 10%+ loss in rejection rate (meaning concentrate).

They will also mention that if you prolong these cleaning that the cleaning may not restore the performance successfully. Meaning time will catch upon you and before you know it.

Most RO manufactures will tell you to follow the Membrane Manufactures recommendations. Most permeate rinses will get you back up to 100% or close but let it stay plugged up and as mentioned above you may not get it back to 100% like Dow/Filmtec mentions.

I have not heard of a person that has fouled a membrane that keep up on wash's but know of a few that have needed new membranes in a few years from not washing enough. Some that wash a lot i know of have membranes that are 7+ seasons and still going about like new.