Classified Ads Photo Gallery Message Boards Sugarbush Directory Sugarmaker Journals Live Chat News & Events
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Number of Taps: 1300
Photos: 1
Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  
Default recirculation build

This kind of spans both R/O and home build, so here it is in R/O. If i needs moved.. so be it.

I have searched and come up empty on adding a recirculation to a home built RO. It seems that it would be worth the time and energy. Has anyone here done this? If so, how did you set it up? what pump did you use? What was the resulting difference in capacity?

Josh
2 sugar makers in training
Very understanding wife
The Following User Says Thank You to sapaholic For This Post:
lpakiz (January 25th, 2013)
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:08 PM
2013 Calendar Contest Winner
Producer

Number of Taps: 700
Classified Ads: 4
Photos: 44
Thanked 98 Times
  View my photos   View my ads  

Hey Josh,Planning on putting a recirc loop on my home build before next season.Thinking about welding 2 fitting on vessel one on each end and add a small recirc pump. Tell me about your home build ,what kind of gph Thanks Jim
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

not sure what the gph will be... have to wait and find out. I have a 4x40 membrane. It is pressured with a 1hp multistage pump. I have a 1hp jet pump that will push and pressurize the sap through the filter and to the HP pump.
In looking @ recirculation, my main idea is to put a T on the raw sap port and concentrate port. then put a jet pump in line between the two. This would allow the pressure in the membrane to stay where it should, but allow you to flow sap/concentrate through it at a very hi rate. Trying to figure out what the flow rate should be and finding a pump that will support the 250spi that will be on that line.
Very understanding wife
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 250
Thanked 7 Times

Sapaholic,

Do a google patent search for maple ro. I tink its mempro that use a small procon high pressure pump and pump to 250 psi through the inlet filter. They pump into a multistage pump that will help boost the a little. Around 28 psi So total pressure is around 275 psi. The multistage pump will flow at around 16gpm across the membrane giving you the recirculation. Concentrate outout is controled by a needle valve.

250 Taps trying for 300
Leader 2x6 Patriot Pans
Homemade Hood and preheater
Custom 2x6 Wildfire Arch
Orion Dry Vane Vacuum Pump for High Vac
Giles Bernard Single Releaser
Delaval 75 Vacuum Pump for Backup
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member
Producer

Thanked 95 Times
  View my photos  

I have 2 ideas for design.. one simple .. one more complex ( but more compact) My main interest now is the flow rate. I think CDL is flowing 75gpm recirculation around their 8x40 membranes. with only having a 4x40, wonder what my flow should be, as too much flow could be detrimental, not enough flow would not be economical.

If you look at the memtec 4" units, they aren't getting a lot of recirculation flow. I think they plumb it in, as a sell point of "look. it will recirculate.." would like to see it working with a flow meter in line. I don't see how this setup will help keep the membrane surface flushed.
Now if you look at their 8" units, these are set up for lots of recirculation flow.
Very understanding wife
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Producer

Thanked 8 Times

I'm studying this as well, came to conclusions similar to NYMaple's description, probably a bit less pressure out of the procon as the circ pump can build about 75 for one i looked at. Your 4 by 40 should have a max flow rating, if you got even close to that you should have success. My 2.5 by 21 is 6 gpm for example. Thise circ pumps I looked at aren't inexpensive.
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 2100
Thanked 131 Times

My 1984 (I know old technology) memtek does not have a "recirculation pump". It does recirculate as there is a line going from membranes back through feed pump. There is a flow meter on this circuit that shows around 15 gpm. Manual says it should be between 14-16. Early to mid season it will go about 4 hrs (4xsugar content) before flow drops much. I wonder if this could be aplied to the homemade versions with out another pump???
About 900 of my own and sap from another 1200
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:00 AM
Producer

Thanked 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeh1 View Post
Thise circ pumps I looked at aren't inexpensive.
You can say that again, I looked at a waterguy RO a producer near me bought and never used. His uses 2 gould pumps to work. The high pressure pump is a multistage centifugal design. I was debating on buying it and then swapping out the feed pump for a procon, and hooking up the Gould to recirc. I think you would need a gate valve in this circuit to control the flow and pressure drop across the membrane.

250 Taps trying for 300
Leader 2x6 Patriot Pans
Homemade Hood and preheater
Custom 2x6 Wildfire Arch
Orion Dry Vane Vacuum Pump for High Vac
Giles Bernard Single Releaser
Delaval 75 Vacuum Pump for Backup
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:26 PM
Producer

Thanked 8 Times

I think you would let most of the flow back thru the recirc pump and regulate the concentrate out thru a flow meter with a needle valve?
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:55 PM
Producer

Number of Taps: 750

The way that my cdl hobby 250 ro works is very much like previosly described with the memetek. There is a 250 gph procon pump that pressurizes the whole system, and is adjusted and restricted by a needle valve on the outlet flow meter, there is then a 16gpm pump that recirculates the whole pressurized "loop" with the membranes, 2 in series, i added a 3rd one this year. it seems to work very well as the hp is not being wasted on a large pump just to allow it to be bled off and back to the intake just to recirculate, this way only a small 3/4 hp pump is needed to feed the high pressure and then a high volume 1 hp pump is used to recirculate within that loop.
The Following User Says Thank You to markct For This Post:
jimsudz (April 2nd, 2013)